Friday, December 17, 2010

Squash and Black Bean Chili, Corn Muffins

This recipe is from Good Housekeeping Family Vegetarian Cooking with slight modifications.
A great way to use up some of the MANY squash we had around from the co-ops.
Squash and Black Bean Chili, Marie Callendar's Original Corn Bread (from a mix)
Serves 6
6 Points+ per serving for the chili, 4 Points+ per corn muffin

4 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium butternut squash, about 1 3/4 pounds, peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, diced
3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 15oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 4oz can chopped mild green chilies
1 cup vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 15oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
6 Tablespoons reduced fat sour cream

1. In 5 quart dutch oven, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add squash and cook until golden, stirring occasionally; remove squash to bowl.

2. In same dutch oven, heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil until hot; cook onions and carrots until well browned. Stir in chili powder; cook 1 minute, stirring. Add tomatoes with their juice, chilies with their liquid, broth and salt; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Stir in black beans and squash; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until squash is tender and chili thickens, about 15 minutes.
Stir in cilantro and serve with sour cream.

Each serving is a generous (heaping?) 1 1/2 cups of chili topped with 1 Tablespoon of sour cream. And corn muffins as desired.

What we thought~
Roger said that the chili was very good.
I thought it was very hearty and just as filling and flavorful as the chili I usually make with meat. But healthier. Bonus! It's very thick and chunky and perfect for a cold night.
Emily liked hers with copious amounts of sour cream.
Jaxon mostly ate "corn cake". :)
I'll definitely be making this one again.

Note: I'm no longer estimating the cost of the recipes I post. I was doing that to show that making healthier choices doesn't necessarily have to blow the grocery budget and I feel that that has been well established by now.

No comments: