I've been dreaming of this dinner ever since last month when I first made the Black Bean, Mango and Tomato Salad. It was even more delicious than I expected. And I came up with a low point dressing that was perfect for it. Perfect summer dinner!Blackened Grilled Chicken Salad with Black Bean, Mango and Tomato and Homemade Creamy Chili Cilantro Dressing
Makes 4 servings
9 points per serving
Approximate cost for this meal: $8
Makes 4 servings
9 points per serving
Approximate cost for this meal: $8
For dressing:
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
1/4 cup mayo
1 4oz. can diced green chilies, drained
1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
1/2 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Fiesta Ranch Dip mix
I think you could use a half packet of taco seasoning here if you have it.
Place all ingredients in blender and puree till well blended and smooth.
Pour into covered container and place in refrigerator.
1 point for 2 Tablespoons
For Black Bean, Mango and Tomato Salad:
1 large mango(es), diced, divided (about 1 3/4 cups)
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp table salt
15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup tomato(es) diced
1/2 cup sweet onions, diced
1/4 cup mint leaves, or cilantro, fresh, cut into thin slivers
I used cilantro this time. I'll definitely try mint sometime this summer.
1 tbsp canned jalapeno peppers, or fresh, minced
I used canned. Fresh would be great too.
In a large bowl, mash 1/4 cup of diced mango with a fork; whisk in lime juice, water, oil, cumin and salt.
My mangoes were plenty ripe but I still found it too difficult to mash them with a fork so I put all this in the blender and pureed it. Then poured this over all the other ingredients in a large bowl.
Add remaining diced mango, beans, tomato, onion, mint or cilantro and jalapeno to bowl; toss to mix and coat. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 1 day. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.
For grilled blackened chicken:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
blackened seasoning
I used Cajun's Choice brand
Heat outdoor grill to 400 degrees.
Generously coat both sides of chicken breasts with cajun seasoning.
Grill 5 minutes per side or till cooked through.
Let stand 5 minutes.
Cut into 1/2 inch slices.
For each serving place 2 cups of salad greens on plate. Top with 1 cup of the black bean salad, 4 oz. of the cooked chicken. Top with 2 Tablespoons of dressing.
What we thought~
Everyone loved it! We'll definitely be having this meal often this summer. Light and fresh and flavorful.
And the dressing was a big hit! I'm so happy to have found a yummy, creamy salad dressing that is low in points.
I'm already thinking of other ways to flavor the buttermilk/low fat sour cream/mayo base.




8 comments:
The salad looks yummy. I now have Jim on a health kick now. He went for his checkup and the doctor told him if he didn't go on a diet and loose weight and get his sugar under control he was going to put him on insulin. Thats all it took he hates needles.
Yikes!
I don't hate needles. But I don't like them either. LOL
Good luck to Jim!
Ooohh, that dressing sounds wonderful!! Even after months of of WW it's still surprising to me at how the points work out for some things.
I looove the Cafe Rio house dressing.. here's one recipe I found off google. Do you think your combo would work for it?? I'd love to be able to make it.. it's serious points for the 'real' stuff.
Café Rio Dressing
1 buttermilk ranch dressing packet (make as per recipe)
2 tomatillos (tomato like vegetable with a husk around them)
½ bunch of cilantro
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lime
1 jalapeño (Use the seeds too if you like it spicy. You could substitute a few drops of green tobasco for the jalapeno.)
Use a food processor to blend all the ingredients well. Refrigerate.
Becky~
YES!! I was thinking about making that Cafe Rio recipe but didn't have all the ingredients and didn't want to go to the store so I kind of took off from there.
But yeah...I definitely think it would work to sub reduced fat sour cream for all or part of the mayo in the buttermilk ranch dressing.
I'm planning to try it some time.
Oh yeah, Baby!! Yum!! YUM!!!
Thanks for posting all these healthy meals. We're going shopping tomorrow and I will be making some of these meals.
trish.......i am making this recipe again today....love it!!
dj
Yum! This was amazing! i made it & posted my finished product to my blog, check it out: http://sassyagapi.blogspot.com/2010/06/amazing-recipe-blackened-chicken-salad.html
Post a Comment