The recipe for the burgers comes from the January 2007 issue of Good Housekeeping magazine. I made changes to make it more WW point friendly and I'm posting the recipe as I made it.I served these with grilled fresh pineapple and fresh veggies with dip.
The dip is packaged Hidden Valley Ranch Fat free party dip made with reduced fat sour cream.
Bulgur Black Bean Burgers, Grilled Pineapple, Fresh Veggies and Dip
Makes 4 servings
7 points per serving (Including pineapple, veggies and dip. WOW!)
Approximate cost for this meal:Less than $10.
Way less if you use canned, unsweetened pineapple. And there will be extra muffins and Dip.
Makes 4 servings
7 points per serving (Including pineapple, veggies and dip. WOW!)
Approximate cost for this meal:Less than $10.
Way less if you use canned, unsweetened pineapple. And there will be extra muffins and Dip.
For the burgers:
1 cup water
salt and ground black pepper
1/2 cup bulgur
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 can (15-19 oz.) reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
1 container (6 oz.) plain low fat yogurt
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup packed fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/2 cup finely diced cucumber (seeds removed)
4 whole wheat english muffins (toasted on the grill if you prefer)
I used Oroweat 100% whole grain wheat english muffins. At $3.50 per package of 6 they were the most expensive part of this meal.
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
It's just what I had on hand. Any lettuce leaves would do.
1 medium tomato, sliced
In 1 quart saucepan, heat water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boiling over high heat. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until bulgur is tender and water is absorbed.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, with potato masher or fork, mash beans with 2 Tablespoons yogurt until almost smooth. Stir in cooked bulgur, alspice, cinnamon, cumin and half of mint until combined. With lightly foured hands, shape bean mixture into four 3 inch round patties.
Heat olive oil in 12 inch skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add burgers and cook 8 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through, turning them over once.
While burgers are cooking, prepare yogurt sauce; In small bowl, combine cucumber, remaining yogurt, remaining mint, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.
To serve, divide lettuce, tomato slices and burgers among buns; top with some yogurt sauce. Serve with remaining yogurt sauce.
One serving is heaping 1/4 cup yogurt sauce with one burger, 2 Tablespoons ranch dip, 1 cup of fresh veggies and 1 slice of grilled pineapple.
What we thought~
Roger and I liked these. We thought they were interesting and tasty. We both think that a Mexican twist would also be good.
Kenzie said, "They're good."
I asked if she meant good or just not bad.
She said, "Not bad."
Emily didn't eat much. But she never really does.
Jaxon ate a LOT. I think he might be a vegetarian by nature. He said, "I love it."
The original recipe calls for whole wheat hamburger buns. But in my mind the burgers weren't going to be large enough for the buns in the store. I hate when you have more bun than burger. Plus the english muffins are more point friendly.
I was wrong about the size. A hamburger bun would have been fine.
But so were the english muffins and they are lower in points.
The burger itself, with the sauce, and on an english muffin is only 5 points. And very filling since it's PACKED with fiber.




7 comments:
That pineapple looks soooo good.. any tips for that? We tried grilling it once and it didn't really work.. not as yummy looking as yours.
There are some Sarah Lee Heart Healthy buns (pretty sure they're whole wheat? I guess I could go look.. lol) and they are 2 points each.
I don't care for beans but I wonder if the sauce would be good on a turkey burger.. hmm....
And where did you find the ff dip packet at? I only saw the reg. ones at walmart.
Now that looks tasty. I'm going to have to try that one. I think the english muffin is a great idea and a way to spice an ordinary burger up. Only 7 points for all that?!
Becky~
We grill fresh pineapple all the time. We literally just slice it and throw it on the grill. About 450 degrees. I don't have any useful tips other than that. LOL
The Sarah Lee buns would be the same points as the english muffins then. Maybe I'll try them next time. I'm a little leery of Sarah Lee. Just not a fan.
I think the sauce would be delicious on a turkey burger. The spices are a tasty combo. I think subbing ground turkey for the beans would be really good.
Found the ranch packet at Ream's. They didn't have it at Smith's either.
Amber~ Seriously. Only 7 points! I accidentally didn't get all my points in yesterday because dinner was so low. LOL
I did consider the Sarah Lee factor.. I know how you hated the bread because of the.. mush?.. factor. LOL
I have some.. I have been having them for lunch (frozen- jennie-o brand) because they're only 4 points. Maybe I should bring one over so you can decide how much you dislike it. ;o)
There is some nicer wheat ones that I liked better at walmart and they're larger sized.. but even with the more fiber they were still 3-4 points. But if the rest of your meal is lower in points then that might be fine, kwim..
This looks delicious. I'm putting it in the to be tried file.
What a great idea on the english muffin. I'm loving that. I may be able to get through my high fat burger if I rinse and drain well and use Bulger as (what did you call that?) a meat stretcher??? I'm sure that's not what you said. lol.
I'm thinking you can post whatever recipe you like and end it "top with a strawberry" and you've actually changed the recipe ... and all of us would know NOT to top it with a strawberry. (wink, wink). I think that could get around these pesky copyright laws.
SO SO cute that Jaxon is getting in on the reviews!
Post a Comment