Monday, June 29, 2009

Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Pineapple-Lime Salsa and Chipotle Aioli, Cilantro Lime Rice and Fresh Fruit

My first recipe trial for "lettuce wrap week" set the bar pretty dang high! These things were fantastic! Delicious! Sensational! Flavorful! Beautiful! Mmmmm......I'm pretty sure I'm having them again for lunch today.
I found the original recipe HERE while searching the net for wrap ideas. I made a few small changes to lower the fat and adjust portion sizes to feed the family.
It's very hard to guess the cost of this meal because of all the fresh veggies involved. If your kitchen is devoid of all fresh produce this would be a fairly expensive meal I suppose. But if you're like me and you always have lots of fresh produce around, then it's not so bad. Just bits of this and that veggie that you might be using for other meals during the week. If that's the case then it would come in under $10 I'm sure. I just had to buy shrimp and avocados. Shrimp was on sale for $3.98lb. Hooray!
Make the salsa and aioli early in the day so that the flavors have plenty of time to get to know each other. This will also make dinner prep a little less hectic.

Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Pineapple-Lime Salsa and Chipotle Aioli, Cilantro Lime Rice and Fresh Fruit
Serves 4
10 points per serving
Approximate cost for this meal: Varies but I think it can be done for $10.

For the side dishes you'll need:
2 cups of cooked white rice seasoned with juice and zest of half a lime and a handful of chopped cilantro.
Some fresh fruit. I used some slices of cantaloupe.

Now on to the star of the meal!

For the shrimp:
1 lb of shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 Tablespoon creole spice mix
I used Zatarains. I don't recommend it. Too salty.
1 Tablespoon olive oil

For the Pineapple Salsa:
2 cups pineapple, finely diced
4 Tablespoons red bell pepper, finely diced
2 Tablespoons minced red onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
Try buying prepared ginger in a tube (on the Asian food aisle) or jar (in the produce section) to save time.
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
I knew I loved cilantro. Now that we are growing our own I want to marry it. I can't believe how much more intense the flavor is when you snip it right from the garden!
juice of 1 lime
salt and chipotle chili powder (or cayenne) to taste

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.

For the Chipotle Aioli:
4 Tablespoons light mayo
2 chipotles in adobo sauce
I took a tip from Rachael Ray and I freeze the contents of a can of chipotles in adobo. I just put it in a ziploc and flatten it out. When I need some for a recipe I just break off a chunk. I used about a Tablespoon for this recipe. They are HOT!
salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a blender or mini food processor. Process till smooth. Place aioli in small ziploc bag and refrigerate.

For the wraps:
12 lettuce leaves
shredded cabbage
Shredded carrots
2 avocadoes, sliced
lime wedges

To prepare shrimp: In a medium bowl toss shrimp with creole seasoning until evenly coated. Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Add the shrimp to the hot pan and cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are done.

For each serving:
Lay out 3 lettuce leaves. Divide 1/4th of the shrimp among them. Top the shrimp with 1/2 an avocado, divided among the three wraps. Add shredded cabbage and carrots. Add 1/2 cup of pineapple salsa, divided.
Snip the corner off the ziploc bag of aioli. Squeeze 1 teaspoon of aioli onto each wrap.
Serve with 1/2 cup rice, fresh fruit and lime wedges to squeeze over the wraps.

What we thought~
The smoky heat of the chipotle, the (little too) salty shrimp, the sweet heat of the pineapple salsa,the fresh crunch of carrots and cabbage, the creamy avocado......YUM-O!!!!!
I thought these were INDESCRIBABLY delicious. Seriously. My mouth hasn't been so happy in a long time. I ended up just wrapping the rice right inside the lettuce leaves with all the other delicious goodies.
Next time I will add some chopped fresh jalapeno to the pineapple salsa to bring the heat level up a bit.
And just look at it! It's so colorful and pretty on the plate!

Roger kept saying how great these were all through dinner. Maybe the fat was a little low for him. He washed them down with some macaroni salad about an hour after dinner. LOL

Jaxon only ate cantaloupe. He loves that.

Emily mostly just ate shrimp and aioli in her lettuce leaves but finally did agree to add a bit of cabbage and carrots. She said it was good.

Kenzie wasn't here for dinner last night. Boy, did she miss out! Maybe she'll get in on the leftover lunch action today.
ETA: Kenzie shared the leftovers with me for lunch. Except we didn't have any avocado. She says she likes that it's healthy but still has so many yummy flavors all together.

I think that the shrimp could be subbed with fish or chicken and the wraps would be equally delicious.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Wow, that sounds fantastic!! Although your additions of heat have me sweating a little.. LOL

I think you need to host a lunch playdate sometime and we'll all chip in for the cost. :-D We could all bring our own food for the kids to eat as a picnic. mmm

I think I'll try this sometime w/ Chicken. Drew's avoiding shrimp since it was on the list of things to avoid (I think??) if you have gout. He never wants it again.

Becky said...

Oh! And when I've made Cilantro Lime Rice before, I'll add in a 1/2 of a small can of mild green enchilada sauce when it was cooking (minute rice). It was pre WW so I don't know the point value of that.. but we really like it with that.

Trish said...

I'd love to host a lunch playdate! Totally! I need to get Roger to rebuild the pergola though to reduce the chances of kiddos getting hurt. Right now it's a pile of metal that kids can't resist climbing on. ugh!

The recipe, as is, is very mild. I'd like it a little hotter. :)

Great idea for the rice! I'll try that next time for sure.