Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Lime Marinated Chicken and Tomatillo-Corn Salsa, Corn on the Cob, Not Chili's Rice Pilaf


Ooooooooh.....look at the pretty granite countertops! Oh, wait! This is a recipe post. I'll get to the new house post soon. ;)

I got this recipe from the June 2010 issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine. Or, as one clever blogger put it, Better Homes than Yours magazine. LOL
It looked so delicious to me that I decided it would be the first new recipe I tried in the new kitchen at the new house. :)
I have adapted the recipe to be more Weight Watcher friendly.
This isn't an easy one. Lots of steps involved. But it's worth it!

Lime Marinated Chicken And Tomatillo-Corn Salsa, Corn on the cob, Not Chili's Rice Pilaf
Makes 6 servings
7 WW points per serving (not counting the corn and rice)

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 5 oz. each
1/4 cup olive oil
juice and zest of 1 lime
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 recipe Tomatillo-Corn Salsa, below
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 Tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
fresh lime wedges

One at a time, place each chicken breast, smooth side down, between two pieces of plastic wrap. Pound to even 1/2 inch thickness.
In large resealable bag combine the 1/4 cup of olive oil, 2 Tablespoons of the lime juice, the garlic, salt and pepper. Add chicken, press air out of bag, and seal. Turn to coat evenly. Marinate, refrigerated, for 1 to 2 hours.

Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (about 400 degrees).
Prepare Tomatillo Corn Salsa.

2 half inch thick slices of yellow onion
5 tomatillos, (about 1/2 pound) papery skins removed, rinsed
1 ear fresh sweet corn, husked
1 medium poblano chile, 3-4 inches long
1/4 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar

Brush onion, tomatillos, corn and chile with olive oil. Grill vegetables over direct medium heat, with lid closed as much as possible, until onions are lightly charred, tomatillos soften and begin to collapse, corn is tender and chile is softened and lightly charred, turning as needed.
Place chile in bowl. Cover with plastic and let steam 10 minutes.
Cut corn kernels from cob and set aside.
Peel off skin from chile; discard. Remove stem and seeds. Place vegetables (except corn), cilantro, brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in blender. Puree. Pour into small serving dish and stir in corn.

Increase grill temp to high (about 500 degrees) Remove chicken from bag, letting excess liquid drip back into bag; discard liquid. Grill chicken, smooth side down, over direct high heat, with lid closed as much as possible, until well marked. 3 to 4 minutes. Turn; grill just until cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a platter.

In bowl whisk together sour cream, the 1 Tablespoon olive oil, lime zest, remaining juice from lime, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

To serve, spoon scant 1/4 cup salsa over chicken, top with dollop (about 2 Tablespoons) of lime sour cream. Serve with lime wedges.

I also served corn on the cob and Not Chili's Rice Pilaf (click here for recipe).

What we thought~
Oh YUM!!!!
It was as delicious as I imagined it would be when I saw it in the magazine. It's a bit of work, especially when you add in the effort of side dishes, but it was so worth it!
Roger also loved it.
Emily and Jaxon had their chicken without the salsa and lime sour cream and they seemed to love it.
Kenzie wasn't feeling well tonight and hasn't eaten yet. But I'm sure she'll enjoy the leftovers when she's feeling better.
Lots of interesting flavors. Love the combo of tangy salsa with the creamy lime sour cream.
We'll definitely have this again. I think it's one that would be really impressive for company. The salsa and lime sour cream could easily be prepared ahead of time. Leaving only the chicken to grill.
Pounding the chicken breasts was a great idea! They cooked very quickly and evenly and stayed very moist.

3 comments:

Eileen said...

Thanks for more inspiration! Looks yummy! I bookmarked it for later. :)

Mel the Belle said...

Yay! You're posting recipes again! You don't know how many times I come to your blog to get recipes! Cool!

Alice said...

Looks really good. I will have to try it.