Baked Costa Rican Style Tilapia with Pineapples, Black Beans and Rice
Makes 6 servings
10 PointsPlus per serving
1 cup long grain white rice
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup orange juice
1 lime, juiced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
6 (5 oz.) tilapia fillets, rinsed and patted dry
2 cups jarred or homemade tomato salsa
1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups diced fresh pineapple
2 limes, thinly sliced
Combine the rice and chicken broth in a pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid. About 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the orange juice, lime juice, oil, 2 Tablespoons of the cilantro, the garlic and sugar; season with salt and pepper. Add the tilapia fillets to the marinade and turn to coat. Marinte in the refrigerator for 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
Stir together the cooked rice, salsa, beans, pineapple, and remaining 2 Tablespoons of the cilantro in a 9 X 13 baking dish.
This was when I knew things were going very, very well! Look how beautiful this is!
Remove the tilapia from the marinade, reserve the marinade, and lay the fish fillets over the rice mixture, overlapping if necessary. Pour the reserved marinade over the fish. Shingle the lime slices over the fish.
Bake until the fish flakes easily, is opaque and cooked through. This was about 30 minutes for me. It's going to depend on the thickness of your fish fillets.
Garnish with chopped cilantro before serving.
This is what it looked like when it came out of the oven. Mmmmmm.... If I had a better camera, you'd be salivating right now. ;)
One serving is 1/6 of the prepared dish. A little more than a cup of the rice mixture and 1 fillet of fish (mine were tiny fillets, so 2)
What we thought~
I thought this was every bit as delicious as I suspected it would be. For some reason I LOVE the combo of fish and fruit. LOVE! Maybe it conjures up some tropical island kind of life or something. And it's so colorful! Very pleasing to the eye. I think that's important.
Kenzie loved it too. She says it's a keeper.
Roger thought it needed a little more spice than the salsa alone provided. He added a little hot sauce and loved it.
Emily liked the fish but didn't love the rice mixture. She's making a real effort to eat what is prepared even if she doesn't love it though. So she ate all her rice too.
Jaxon liked the fish but only if I scraped off all the "green stuff". (cilantro). He didn't touch the rice.
Other than Jaxon's untouched rice, there wasn't a bit leftover.




2 comments:
looks good, thanks!
I am going to include this on this week's menu. Looks fantastic!
Post a Comment