Saturday, January 15, 2011

Light Fettucine Alfredo and Roasted Veggies

I found this recipe for fettucine alfredo on the Food Network website and adapted it slightly. I made it with dried fettucine. And not even the healthy kind. I had a box of the regular hanging out in the pantry so I made it with that. I'm sure the PointsPlus value will be lower if it's prepared with whole grain pasta. Next time I make it I'll adjust the points value to reflect the whole grain pasta.

For the veggies, I used brussel sprouts (quartered), broccoli florets, and asparagus (cut into 1 inch lengths)
I put the brussel sprouts and broccoli in a bowl and drizzled about 2 Tablespoons of olive oil over them. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast for about 20 minutes in a single layer on a cookie sheet in a 400 degree oven.
At that point I added the asparagus to the other veggies and gave it a good stir. Bake for another 10 minutes or so.
I only did this in stages because the asparagus was so thin.  I didn't want it to overcook.
In my opinion this is the most delicious way to eat a vegetable! Though I will add some chopped garlic next time. Not sure why I didn't think of it this time.
1/4 of the vegetables is one serving. 2 PointsPlus per serving.

Light Fettucine Alfredo
makes 4 servings
14 PointsPlus per serving

1 pound of uncooked fettucine
1 1/2 teaspoons corn starch
1 cup 2% milk
1 Tablespoon butter
1/4 cup light cream
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water according ot package directions.
In a large dutch oven, melt butter, add milk and then whisk in cornstarch over medium heat until lightly thickened. Add light cream, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and a bit of nutmeg to taste. Whisk over medium heat just until smooth.
Add cooked pasta. Toss to coat with sauce. Serve immediately.

What we thought~
Everyone thought it would be great with chicken or shrimp in it. I asked them to think of it only as a vegetarian meal and give me their opinion.
Everyone liked it. Even Jaxon!
I was impressed that it still tasted very rich and creamy considering the lighter than usual ingredients.
There wasn't a noodle leftover so I'd say it was a success and I definitely plan to make it again.

No comments: