
This recipe came from an issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine. I'm not sure which issue because I tore the page out. I served this with a glass (or two) of white wine and garlic bread made from some deli rolls I had in the freezer. You'll have to adjust points for the bread you use.
French Spring Chicken Pot
Makes 4 servings*
11 points per serving (not including the bread)
Approximate cost for this meal: $7
Makes 4 servings*
11 points per serving (not including the bread)
Approximate cost for this meal: $7
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 onions, 1 halved and 1 chopped
1 bay leaf
3 Tablespoons butter
1 lb potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
2 carrots, peeled and cut into small cubes
3 small ribs celery, cut into small cubes
1/2 lb white mushrooms, quartered
1/3 lb thin green beans, cut on an angle into 1 inch pieces
salt and pepper
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup frozen peas
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/3 cup heavy cream
In a large, heavy pot or dutch oven: place the chicken breasts, halved onion and bay leaf. Add water just to cover chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through and tender, 15-20 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and cut into bite sized pieces or, using 2 forks, shred in a bowl.
Discard water and bay leaf. Wipe out the pot, add the butter and melt over medium heat. Add chopped onion, potato, carrots, celery, mushrooms and green beans. Cover the pot, lower the heat and cook until softened. About 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the flour into the pot and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the wine, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, and cook until slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in the peas, tarragon and mustard. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the chicken to the vegetables. Stir in the cream and heat through.
Serve with bread.
One serving is 2 cups.
*As you can see by the picture, that's a LOT of food. RR believes in BIG portions!
I think that it would be more appropriate as 6 servings of 1 1/3 cup each. That would bring the points down to 7 per serving. That's what I'll do next time and serve it with a green salad.
What we thought~
Roger loved it.
I thought it was really good. It tasted like the filling of a gourmet pot pie. The dijon and tarragon flavor combination of the creamy sauce was so delicious.
Kenzie thought it was good but a little bland. I've spoiled her with all the ethnic food we eat.
Emily said it was good.
Jaxon didn't get a proper nap yesterday, rendering him incapable of a rational critique of this recipe.




3 comments:
This is one I'm going to make next time I go groccery shopping. It looks sooo good!
Wow that looks good! Hey I left an award for you over on my food blog.
Ha Ha! She does believe in big portions. I was right there with her.
I glanced through a book at Barnes & Noble the other day. It's called The 9" Plate Diet. A good book to "read" in the store. Makes some very good points (not a lot of new info, just good info presented in a new way) Kinda funny too.
Post a Comment