Cheesy Chicken Shells, Broccoli, SaladServes 4
9 points per serving (Plus salad dressing)
Approximate cost for this recipe:$8
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
3/4 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 cup frozen spinach, thawed and chopped
I used one 10 oz bag of fresh spinach that I blanched, squeezed all the water out of and chopped.
4 oz. cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast
I used chicken that I had cooked in the crockpot all day.
1 3/4 cup part skim ricotta cheese
I made homemade ricotta! Recipe below. I used 1 1/2 cup.
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cup tomato sauce
12 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
broccoli
salad
Cook pasta shells in boiling water according to the package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water to prevent them from cooking further. Set aside on waxed paper or foil to prevent them from sticking to each other.
Coat a 9 X 13 pan with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 cup of sauce evenly over bottom of pan and set aside.
In large bowl, stir together egg whites, ricotta cheese, chicken, spinach, garlic powder and oregano. Stir in 1/4 cup each of parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
To assemble, spoon cheese mixture into shells and place filled shells in a single layer in the 9X13 pan.
I am a little in love with my digital kitchen scale so I weighed the filling and determined that each shell would have 2 oz. of filling. FYI
Spread remaining sauce on top of filled shells.
Sprinkle with remaining cheeses.
Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
One serving is 3 stuffed shells, broccoli and salad
What we thought~
Roger loved it. But he worked late and had hardly eaten anything all day so he was just happy to eat.
I loved it! Amber and Heather were so right about this recipe. In fact, it was so good it was a little dangerous for me. I had an extra shell. And even though 3 were plenty, they just tasted so good I could have easily eaten 6. Or more. For my own lunchtime protection I froze the leftovers in portions of 2 shells.
Kenzie loved them.
Emily did not love them. She didn't like the spinach and she said there was too much cheese in them. I was expecting this. She doesn't like lasagna either.
Jaxon loves broccoli and didn't seem to notice that there was anything else on his plate.
We will definitely be having these again.
By the way, I think they would be just as delicious without the chicken.
I saw the recipe for this in the May 2009 issue of Good Housekeeping magazine and thought it was INCREDIBLE that you could make ricotta cheese! Then I started looking around on the internet and discovered that, as usual, I am late to the cheesemaking party. People are doing it all the time. I had no idea!
So I made some. Here's how.
You'll need
8 cups of whole milk
I used 2%
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1)Line a large strainer with 4 layers of cheesecloth and place lined strainer in a large bowl; set aside.
2)In heavy bottom 4 quart saucepan, heat milk and salt to boiling on medium high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent milk from scorching.
3) Stir in lemon juice; cover and remove form heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
4)Carefully pour contents of pan into strainer lined with cheesecloth. Drain 3 minutes. Discard whey (the liquid that strained off).
5) If not using right away, transfer ricotta to clean bowl, cover and refrigerate up to 1 week.
What we thought~
SOOOOO EASY! I actually doubled the recipe because I needed more ricotta cheese (to double the cheesy chicken shells recipe).
Using 2% milk, I got 3 cups (1 1/2 pounds) of ricotta cheese. I think that you get more cheese if you use whole milk but we're cutting back on fat around here. Have you heard? ;)
You end up dumping about 3/4 of a gallon of whey down the drain. I saw a few ideas on the web for using the whey but I didn't go there this time. Maybe next time. Sorry Miss Muffet.
Even though that seems a bit wasteful, when you consider that I paid only $1.50 for the gallon of milk, that makes some pretty cheap ricotta cheese.
The flavor was only slightly better than store bought ricotta. A little creamier. Not quite as gritty.
But I love that I can just whip up some ricotta and save a buck if I want to.





7 comments:
Glad you like them. I can't believe Emily said there was too much cheese! There's no such thing lol. I'll have to try making that homemade ricotta. Thanks for the recipe!
LOL I have been making cheeses and yogurts since the late 1970's...Glad you came to the party! Awesome, huh? This looks absolutely fantastic! YUM! I cooked for the first time in weeks last night...big Mexican dinner via a request from Gary and Sara. Pretty good, but I forgot how much work cooking is! lol xo *Mel
Amber~
When I was typing up the recipe I saw why you accidentally used manicotti noodles. It SAYS manicotti in the recipe instructions even though the recipe is clearly called Cheesy Chicken SHELLS. Someone needs to proof read the WW website I think. LOL
Mel~
I knew yogurt was easy. I haven't made any myself but I had heard of lots of people making it. Somehow I never knew people made ricotta at home.
We're having a mexican feast tonight. :) Cooking is work. Some days it's the only work I do. LOL
That looks so VERY good!!
Homemade Ricotta? I have the same reaction: INCREDIBLE!! I haven't joined the cheesemaking / yougurtmaking party, either, but also find it so cool that this is an option and you didn't need special gadgetry other than cheesecloth (which I do have) to do it. Just cool.
What a great recipe to try this with.
Amber, I would be so glad to find out that I grabbed the wrong noodles for a reason!! It's always good when something is not entirely your fault.
I really had no idea either.. The recipe looks so yummy! I'll definitely have to try it.
When you double it, does it have the same cook time? Thinking this would be a good one for company..
I did increase the cook time by about 10 minutes.
Mostly because I was stalling dinner till Roger got home.
This looks like something Jim would really like. I will try it real soon. I'm even going to try the homemade ricotta.
Post a Comment