
When we go out to eat I often choose Chili's because they have their nutrition info available on the web. I feel safe ordering something there because I can be sure of the points values.
One of the healthiest and lowest point value items on their menu is the Guiltless Cedar Planked Tilapia. They serve it with pico and steamed broccoli for a total of 4 points. Nice!
The Southwest Cedar Planked Tilapia is the non"guiltless" version. It comes with rice and chimichurri sauce and has 14 points.
I LOVE the rice that they serve. I've been searching for a recipe for the rice ever since I worked there several years ago and I can't find it. So, if you think you know how to make it, please share! For this meal I tried a supposed "knock off" that I found on the internet.
Not it. But not bad. I'd make it again. But the search goes on for the actual Chili's recipe.
To make life easier and dinner time less hectic, prepare the chimichurri and pico earlier in the day. It's really better if the flavors can get to know each other for a while anyway.
Grilled Tilapia with Pico de Gallo and Chimichurri Sauce, Not Chili's Rice Pilaf, Steamed Broccoli
Makes 4 servings
7 points per serving
(9 PointsPlus per serving)
Approximate cost for this meal: $9 because the tilapia is on sale for $3.99lb till Wednesday. Adjust as neccesary for the cost of the tilapia.
Makes 4 servings
7 points per serving
(9 PointsPlus per serving)
Approximate cost for this meal: $9 because the tilapia is on sale for $3.99lb till Wednesday. Adjust as neccesary for the cost of the tilapia.
For Chimichurri:
1/4 cup lightly packed chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup lightly packes chopped fresh parsley
1 garlic clove minced
2 Tablespoons red-wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Put all ingredients in blender and puree will well combined.
For Pico:
2 medium tomatoes, diced (About 1 cup)
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (More seeds = more heat. How hot do you like it?)
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced
juice of half a lime
salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients well.
Start preheating the grill while you prepare the rice.
While the rice cooks, steam 1 pound of broccoli and grill the fish.
It should all come together at about the same time.
For Not Chili's Rice Pilaf:
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons butter
1/3 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/3 cup diced carrot
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
I used the Southwest seasoning blend here as well.
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup pineapple juice
I don't think this really did anything for the flavor. Subbing more broth here would be just fine.
3/4 cup white rice
In medium sauce pan over medium high heat, sautee the veggies in the oil and butter till softened.
Add broth, juice, rice and seasoning salt.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
For grilled Tilapia:
4 - 4oz. filets of Tilapia
Southwest or blackened seasoning
I used a great Southwest seasoning blend that my friend, Glenda, gave me. We loved it.
Preheat outdoor grill to 400 degrees.
Spray a piece of foil large enough to hold all 4 pieces of fish with non stick spray (AWAY from the grill!)
Place foil on grill and then place fish on foil.
Generously sprinkle fish with seasoning blend.
Grill, without turning, for about 8-10 minutes or until fish becomes opaque and flakes easily.
One serving is 1 piece of fish with about 1/3 cup pico de gallo, 1/4 of the rice, 1/4 of the broccoli topped with 1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese and 5 teaspoons of chimichurri
What we thought~
FANTASTIC!
Not a perfect copy of Chili's but very, very tasty and satisfying.
If only I could find that rice recipe.....
BTW this meal costs $11 PER PERSON (plus tip) at Chili's.




3 comments:
K, the Chimichurri is one of my favorites! I think it would even be good as a salad dressing. LOL I just made some to put on our grilled chicken tonight.
And Chili's rice is amazing!! I always get the guiltless chicken platter when I go there because it comes with it. Mmmmm One of my friends NEVER eats her rice and it kills me as they take her plate away.
Can't wait to try it out.
Thanks for the recipe! I love that chimmichurri!
I am so glad you had this recipe posted. I love Chili's rice pilaf, and they don't make it that way anymore. :( I think it's a recent development; they also don't make chicken tacos anymore.
I agree: the pineapple juice didn't really work with the rice. I always thought the rice tasted lime-y, so I added some lime juice. Then I added some lemon juice because I wasn't sure I added enough lime. Big oops there.
I will attempt this rice again. I'm thinking chicken broth, no pineapple juice, and add maybe the juice of just one lime.
Thanks so much!
Post a Comment