My friend Tawnya posted a link to a yummy sounding veggie sandwich a little while ago. I bookmarked it right away and intended to put it on our meal plan soon.The whole time we were making our way through the fruit and veggie stands yesterday I was recreating and reinventing it in my mind. And I brought it to life at dinner last night. Turned out exactly like I imagined and Roger, Kenzie and I LOVED it. Roger had the single leftover sandwich for lunch just now and he says the leftovers were possibly even better than last night. Great start to cooking my way through all the goodies we bought.
Roasted Veggie and Pesto Sandwiches
Makes 6 servings
Counting the bread, pesto, cheese and olive oil these came out to 9 points each for me. But that's going to be totally dependant on the bread and pesto that you use. I didn't calculate the veggies because, frankly, I didn't get fat eating veggies. Know what I'm saying? ;)
Makes 6 servings
Counting the bread, pesto, cheese and olive oil these came out to 9 points each for me. But that's going to be totally dependant on the bread and pesto that you use. I didn't calculate the veggies because, frankly, I didn't get fat eating veggies. Know what I'm saying? ;)
2 small loaves of really good artisan bread (whatever you deem that to be)
I used Multigrain Artisan Filone which had 12 seeds and nuts in it. So delicious! And from Walmart. Believe it or not. $2 per loaf. I hate having another reason to want to go to Walmart though. :(
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
1 red onion
2 roma tomatoes
1 red bell pepper
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup pesto
I used some of the pesto I made a froze a little while ago. It thawed beautifully BTW. No change at all.
6 oz. mozzarella cheese
salt
pepper
red pepper flakes and dried oregano, if desired
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray a large baking sheet with non stick spray and set aside.
Thinly slice the zucchini, yellow squash, red pepper, red onion and roma tomatoes.
Place the veggie slices on the baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Toss to coat.
Spread the veggies out on the baking sheet evenly and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake for 20 minutes or until veggies are tender.
I turned the veggies at about 10 minutes to help them cook evenly.
When the veggies are tender turn the broiler on and let them brown slightly.
Split the loaves of bread. Put 1/4 cup pesto on the tops of each loaf.
Place grilled veggies on the bottoms of each loaf.
Divide the cheese evenly among all four pieces.
Broil for a couple of minutes to brown the cheese slightly. Keep a close eye on it!
Remove from oven and sprinkle the sandwiches with red pepper flakes and dried oregano, if using.
Place the tops on the bottoms and cut each loaf into thirds.
I served this with a tomato and cucumber salad which I've posted before.
What we thought:
FANTASTIC! So delicious! And very filling.
Emily was at a birthday party so she didn't try these.
Roger, Kenzie and I enjoyed them very much!
I think that the cheese didn't really add too much to the flavor but Roger and Kenzie disagreed.
I undersalted the veggies while cooking them thinking that the pesto would add enough to the sandwich but we all added salt at the table.
Next time I'll add garlic to the veggies while roasting them.
There will be a next time. Possibly later this week. These things were AWESOME!






5 comments:
Only 9 points?! That looks soooo yummy! Going to have to try that.
Looks positively decadent! Wow!!
Yah, I hear you, I didn't get fat on eating veggies neither, lol.
A double negative... ugh.
How many points was the bread? You remember.
I can't remember and it looks like I didn't save it in my recipe builder. I do remember that it was 120 calories for 1/6 of the loaf. And there were LOTS of fiber grams. Like 8. Since you use a 1/3 of the loaf for each sandwich I'd say it's 4 points per sandwich for the bread. Yeah, I just fiddled with those numbers in the points calculator and that had to be it. 4 points.
Looks like a "MelWich"! Yumm!
Post a Comment