Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Peach Glazed Salmon, Orange Scented Brown and Wild Rice Blend, Steamed Green Beans *

I kind of made this one up on the fly with ideas in my head from recipes past and a goal to use up some peach jam. It turned out GREAT and we'll be having it again very soon.
*To be less than $10 you will have to find a great sale on salmon. But it's worth the extra cost if you can't wait for the sale. :)


Peach Glazed Salmon, Orange Scented Brown and Wild Rice Blend and Steamed Green Beans
Makes 4 servings
11 points per serving
Approximate cost for this meal: Varies greatly depending on the current price of salmon. I like to buy the 3lb bag of individually frozen fillets at Sam's Club. The bag costs $21 which is $7 per lb. You might catch it on sale for cheaper but I like the convenience of individual wrapped fillets so I can thaw only as many as I need.

You'll need:
4 - 6 ounce fillets of salmon, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
1/3 cup peach jam
3 Tablespoons Sweet chili sauce
I used THIS.
1 teaspoon seasoned rice vinegar
pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)

3 cups cooked brown and wild rice blend
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
juice and zest of 1/2 an orange

4 cups fresh green beans, cleaned and cut to 1 inch lengths

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Spray a small baking sheet with non stick cooking spray.

In a small bowl combine the peach jam, chili sauce, rice vinegar and pepper flakes (if using). Mix well.
Place salmon fillets on baking sheet. Spread the peach jam mixture evenly atop the salmon fillets.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until salmon flakes easily with a fork.

Meanwhile, cover the green beans with salted water, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer over low heat. They should be crisp tender right about the time the salmon finishes.

While the salmon and beans cook:
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onion is translucent and soft. Stir in the cooked rice and the orange juice and zest. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until rice is heated through. Cover the pan and remove from the heat.

Drain green beans and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Each serving is 1 piece of salmon, 3/4 cup rice and 1 cup cooked green beans

What we thought:
We all loved this meal! Jaxon didn't eat a whole serving and it was very hard for me to resist finishing his. I might add, it didn't take long for someone else in the house to raid his leftovers from the refrigerator. Less than 24 hours, I'd say.
We have managed to somehow make fish lovers out of the youngest three kids. It was hit and miss with the older ones. LOL
The salmon was delicious with the sweet and spicy glaze. The rice vinegar keeps the glaze from being overly sweet. I always think that rice is a perfect match for fish. It was especially nice to be able to use some leftover rice and give it some new zing with the orange flavors which happened to complement the glaze on the fish quite well.
This meal came together very quickly too. That's a big plus on busy nights.

4 comments:

Becky said...

mmmmm that sounds so good! Drew will love it.

And I'm totally laughing at the link of the sweet chili sauce you used... it's like you knew I would ask. ;o)

Trish said...

LOL You could probably find some fantastic sweet chili sauce at the Asian market but I didn't have time to go there. I found the Maggi at Smith's.

Mel the Belle said...

That looks so yummy! I've actually learned to sort of like salmon since we've been living here with Gary's sister. I'll have to try this recipe. They are big salmon fans here. You look fantastic, Trish! I'm sorry for your back pain. You kinda get the gist of my daily life (mine never goes away). I'm glad you are feeling better tho! We're in Escrow on "the" house. Praying all continues well, as it IS a short sale. (*last time it sold it sold for $915,000.00! We are getting it at a greatly reduced price since it is a short sale). More info as it develops. Love you, pal! xoxo *Mel Belle

Christy said...

Delish!

I like the Maggi at Smith's tons. I've tried "Taste of Asia" and it's not as yummy.