Sunday, January 3, 2010

Curried Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup, Rolls

Another better than average pot of beans! We're on a roll!
This recipe also comes from the Good Housekeeping Favorite Recipes Vegetarian Meals cookbook.

Curried Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup, Rolls
Serves 8
6 points per serving (not counting the bread)
7 PointsPlus per serving
Approximate cost for this meal: $5 if you have the spices on hand.

2 Tablespoons butter
2 medium sweet potatoes (about 12 oz. each) peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
2 large stalks celery, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 large onion (12 ounces) cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tablespoon curry powder
1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
2 cans (3 1/2 cups) vegetable broth
1 package (16 oz) dry lentils, rinsed and picked through
6 cups water
yogurt, toasted coconut, and lime wedges for garnish

In a 6 quart dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add the sweet potatos, celery, and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, curry powder, ginger, cumin, coriander, salt and ground red pepper; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
At this point, hang your head over the pot and inhale DEEPLY. Smells DIVINE!
To vegetables in Dutch oven, add broth, lentils and water; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes and lentils are tender, 40-45 minutes.
Serve with yogurt, toasted coconut and lime wedges if you like.

One serving is 1 3/4 cups.

I served this soup with homemade wheat rolls.

What we thought~
Kenzie wasn't home but Roger, Emily and I loved this soup. Jaxon doesn't seem to love any food lately. Only candy. ugh! Christmas ruined him!
It has a lot of interesting flavors. I didn't have any unsweetened coconut to serve with it but I'll bet that would add yet another interesting flavor level.
It wasn't spicy enough for me so I added some chili oil to my own bowl. And then the creamy yogurt to cool it just a bit and the squeeze of fresh lime to brighten the flavors.
SOOO GOOOD!
I've just been looking for ways to use up the dried beans we have been getting from the Crossroads co-op and I have managed to find recipes I would intentionally buy dried beans for. LOL
And sweet potatoes?!?! We could eat them every day!

3 comments:

vegckry said...

Looks delicious.

Here are some sweet potato recipes I tried and liked:

http://www.vegrecipes4u.com/sweet-potato-recipes.html

http://www.vegrecipes4u.com/sweet-potato-yogurt-curry.html

KMDuff said...

Delicious. :)Tried it and liked it. :)

Christy said...

Gonna have to try this one. Looks and sounds yummy.