This is a recipe for granola bars that I've been using to add a healthy treat to their lunches. I've been meaning to add it to the blog and figure the WW points for it for awhile now. Just getting around to it.
This is the basic formula, so the points value is an estimate and will vary depending on the combination of fruits, nuts and seeds you use.
Chewy Granola Bars
adapted from a Mark Bitman recipe
makes 16 servings
4 PointsPlus per serving
1/2 cup nut butter
I use Adam's Natural Creamy Peanut Butter.
1/2 cup honey
1 cup crispy rice cereal
1 cup oats
I use old fashioned.
1/2 cup chopped, unsalted nuts and/or seeds
I use a combination of almonds, raw pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds.
1/2 cup dried fruit
I use apricots and cranberries. Sometimes some coconut too.
1/4 teaspoon salt
This is optional. I find that it isn't needed.
Combine nut butter and honey in a small saucepan and heat on low, just enough to melt them and combine well with a whisk.
Lightly oil a 9X9 inch or 8X8 inch cake pan.
Center a piece of plastic wrap that is about 3 times the size of the pan over the pan and smooth it out to line the pan allowing the excess plastic wrap to hang over the sides.
Put the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Add the combined nut butter and honey. Stir gently until well combined.
Pour mixture into pan and distribute as evenly as possible with the spoon you used to stir with.
Now fold the plastic wrap over the mixture and press firmly and evenly into the pan.
Refrigerate for at least one hour.
Lift the plastic wrap and granola mixture from the pan all at once.
Place on cutting board and cut into 16 equal pieces. At this point I like to wrap each bar in waxed paper and put them into the freezer to use as needed.




1 comment:
I haven't been by the blog in a bit, but you've been busy! It was nice to catch up with your latest!
Post a Comment