Friday, October 8, 2010

Major Fall Wreath - Minor Price Tag

Isn't she pretty?
Wanna hear the story of her life?
I bought these floral bushes a few weeks ago. 
I spent $8 and figured I could find a way to make a wreath for our front door out of them.
But I couldn't find anything at home that was big enough to use.
Heaven forbid I hang a puny wreath too high  on our door! 
I wouldn't be able to live with the embarrassment.
Heather needed to get some work done on her car yesterday so we hung out for a bit while it was at the shop.
We went to the DI that was in the area. 
I thought maybe I could find a grapevine wreath that needed a new life there.
But there wasn't a single one on the craft aisle.
Weird. Usually there are at least a half dozen circa 1980 wreaths that I could tear apart and make over.
I did find these "Jute Leaf Bags" in the craft section. $1 each.
When you open them up they look like this
I guess you're supposed to put your raked up leaves in them and then...I dunno.
But I liked the texture of them, kind of burlap-y, so I thought maybe I could bend a couple of wire hangers to my will and wrap them in this stuff to make a wreath form the size I wanted.
But then we went to the "Yard Area", where they keep the bigger stuff, and I found THIS!
A tired, old 24 inch Fall wreath that has seen better days.
For THREE DOLLARS!!
I couldn't get home fast enough!
I stripped her bare...
Threw away what couldn't be re-used
Saved what I thought I could re-use
I cut the sides and bottoms off the jute leaf bags and wrapped them around the straw wreath form
And then everyone wanted dinner, and help with homework and clothes for school.
*grumble*grumble*grumble*
So I put it away until this morning.
With the help of heavy duty wire cutters, jute string and hot glue, I finished her up in no time.
For 14 bucks, I LOVE her!
She could use a little more purple.
But what couldn't?
Now to dig up the rest of the Fall decorations.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

I absolutely love it! Love it!!!

the thrifty ba said...

turned out great! i think we frequent the same di...i saw those bags too!

Tightwad Mom said...

Fabulous wreath!! And the price tag is fabulous,too. I guess it's time to pull the fall decorations out at our house(I guess the leaves all over the lawn don't count!:)

Christy said...

It's beautiful! Prettiest fall wreath ever!

KMDuff said...

It is gorgeous and crafty and awesome!

Chantel said...

I love it!! I haven't put up any of my fall decorations and every time we drive past the neighbors Decked out Oswald Halloween house, Alicey's yells, "Cute, mama, Why don't we have that?". Mama's lazy, darlin'. No other excuse but that!