They sell brand new furniture there as well as used. This was one of the ones they build. Sorry about the tiny pic. This was actually taken in our old house a few years ago. I forgot to take a recent one.
I liked it because it was cheap (which is exactly what we could afford at the time) and very large (7 1/2 feet long with both leaves in) and the top is made of 1 1/2 inch thick solid pine. I figured that would give us plenty of chances to sand down and erase the damage that a large busy family can do to a table top. And damage we did! I put a big DEEP scratch across the top of it loading it in the trunk of the car to bring it home. Ugh! Then there was the nail polish remover, sharpies bleeding through paper, pencils pushed a little too hard left their messages in the soft wood, babies banging toys and silverware, hundreds of arts and crafts projects, etc, etc, etc.
It was a wreck by about a year ago when we took it apart and put it in the basement with plans to refinish it.
We've been living with this "temporary" table since then.
Big enough for our daily use now that there are only 3 kids left at home. But way too small for our new house and ridiculously small for our family dinners every Sunday.
So Roger must have finally given up on me getting the job done. He went down to the basement and kicked up the mother of all dust storms sanding the old table top down.
A few coats of stain and poly later (thanks honey!) I finally made my mark on the project by painting and glazing the base and the skirt.
Tah...DAH!!! A table big enough for everyone! Well, almost. Let's face it, this family just gets bigger and bigger. LOL We only keep one leaf in it unless we're having more people over.
But, you might wonder, what about those chairs? I have a crazy plan for them too. Here's a hint!
Stay tuned. Let's see if Roger beats me to the sanding part.
And a Jaxon funny...
He came downstairs a few mornings ago all sleepy eyed and spotted the vase of flowers from my birthday the week before.
With a look of sadness and alarm he said, "Oh no, Mom! Your little daisy flower is so sad. He wants a drink of water!"
I love that kid.





4 comments:
I love your table's new "look"! I can't wait to see the chairs! I really need to do that to our family table. Children and keeping your things nice just don't go together (at least at my house)!
Trish, you are single-handedly destroying what is left of our ozone layer! Stop with the spray painting, I can't breathe even over here!! ;)
We need to get you turned on to some organic earth-friendly alternatives. It LOOKS great tho', btw! xo *Mel
PS Especially with your large family though, don't you find that spray paint really doesn't hold up (dulls, scratches, loses it's appeal over time??) *M
We didn't spray paint the table. Old fashioned paint brushes and sand paper for this project. :)I save the spray paint for small projects that don't get handled too much.
Oh wait! you meant the chairs. Well, they're beat to pieces. I figure a little spray paint can't hurt them. I'll try to prepare them to take the paint really well and then hope for the best.
Would I like to have beautiful new chairs? Sure. But they're not on the top of the list right now. For now. $3.50 per chair in paint is what I can handle.
Post a Comment