First just let me say that I DO indeed realize that if you don't already know the blissful deliciousness that is Indian food you may not think it looks all that appetizing. I know, I know. I thought the same thing the first time it was served to me. Luckily, the intoxicating aroma of the restaurant I was in lulled me into submission enough to try a few bites. It's been TRUE LOVE ever since.
All the recipes from the dinner party came from one cook book.* Easy Indian Cooking by Suneeta Vaswani.
I've tried many of the recipes from this book and I've loved them all. They really are relatively easy and the flavors are as authentic as I can determine without ever having been to India myself.
This was where I planned to post the recipes I used for the party. But it occurs to me that 1)That's a lot of work. I'm not a speedy typist. And 2) I guess it's technically illegal. copyright schmoppyright.
So just go buy the book!
Clickety Click
Costs less than dinner for one at my favorite Indian restaurant.
Cook it yourself and invite 30 guests to join you.
Worked for me!
*The recipes I used:
center of plate- Basmati rice with Spiced Cauliflower
(SOOO much yummier than just a scoop of plain basmati rice. Not that that isn't also heavenly.)
clockwise from top-
Chicken Tikka Masala which is made with Chicken Tandoori
(Lots of butter, lots of cream. What's not to love?)
Sindhi Spinach
(spinach, yellow split peas, tons and tons of other veggies. yum! Totally vegan too, if that's your thing.)
Sindhi Chicken Curry
(Mmmmmm! 'nuff said!)
Saag Panir
(Which is curried spinach with homemade cheese. Really! It's super easy to make this cheese.)
I also made these condiments with recipes from the book
Center:
Cucumber Raita
(Made with cucumbers, cilantro and mint. Cools things down)
Right:
Cilantro Mint Chutney
(HOT! HOT! HOT! Heats things up. Because I like it to hurt a little.)
On the left is the peach chutney I made and canned during the summer.
And don't forget about that dessert! It's in the brown bowl at the top of this picture.
Each batch is made with a half gallon of whole milk, a shockingly small amount of rice, cardamom pods and almonds. Cooked for about an hour and a half until the volume is reduced by half. Creamy, fragrant, cool heaven in dish.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
You are right. That does NOT look appetizing. Oooof! lol I know Indian Food can be really tasty though. But something about some of the colours as FOOD is disturbing to me. I mean , they are actually nice colours and all; but not on my dinner plate. ! lol I guess I'd have to eat with my eyes closed, huh?! I'm sure it was all great, though. Good work!
ROFLOL Mel!!! None for you! More for me! :D
No way, you chowhound! I'm EATING it...I'm just not LOOKING at it as I eat it! lol seriously, it sounds delicious when I see the spices and ingredients...! xo *M
Post a Comment