Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Almost Vegan Spring Pasta Toss


This is a vegetarian (almost vegan) version of an old family favorite which previously included chicken and alfredo sauce. I have plans to try to eliminate the dairy and make it totally vegan next time I make it. I'll post here if it is successful.

Spring Vegetable and Pasta Toss
 
Makes 4 large servings - approx 475 calories per serving

Ingredients:
12 oz of Barilla Whole Grain Rotini
2 medium red bell peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 pound of asparagus, woody ends removed, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 small head of cauliflower (approx 2 lbs) cut into 2 inch pieces
3 oz shredded parmesan cheese
3-4 cups of vegetable broth (I used broth made from the powder here )
2 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon oil (I used coconut oil)
1 teaspoon pepper ( you can go easy here but I think that pepper is the key to the alfredo like flavor)
salt to taste

Place cauliflower and enough vegetable broth to cover it into a saucepan. Cook until tender. Drain, reserving the broth.
To make sauce, put cooked cauliflower in blender and puree until VERY smooth. Add small amounts of cooking liquid if necessary to get it moving in the blender. 
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions.
While pasta cooks, In a large skillet over medium heat add oil. When hot, add red and yellow peppers and asparagus. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add water and pepper, cover, reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes. Until veggies are crisp tender.
Stir cooked pasta, cauliflower sauce and Parmesan cheese into skillet with veggies. Stir over medium heat until hot throughout and cheese is melted. Taste and add salt as needed.


1 comment:

Katrine said...

This looks delicious! I'll put it on the menu for next week.