
We arrived at the hospital a little late because the van broke down on the way there. ugh! Of all the times!
When her surgery was done I went to the Post-op room to be with her as she was coming out of the anesthesia. She got to post-op without a breathing tube and mostly awake which seemed to impress the nurse there. She said kids are usually still sleeping and intubated at that point.After a short time in post-op they sent us to Kenzie's room where she stayed for the rest of the week. It took several hours to get her epidural to keep up with her pain. But by that evening she was pretty comfortable considering what she'd just been through.
DAY TWO
Day two was rough. Lots of pain. And all the pain meds made it hard for her to get enough oxygen. Despite all that, the physical therapists came in and had her sit up on the edge of the bed for a few minutes. She didn't love doing it. And it obviously hurt her alot. But she did it. She's a tough girl. They told us more than once that this is the second most painful surgery they do. I believe it!


On the fourth day Kenzie was expected to take a short walk down the hall outside her room and she did great! Still so many tubes and wires that it took the two physical therapists and myself to get all the stuff down the hall with her.
This was the big "removal day".The epidural line was removed since the transition to oral meds was complete.
The catheter was removed since she was able to walk to the bathroom on her own now.
The wound pump was removed. It helps drain any blood from the wound as it heals and she had only lost 20 cc's by this day with 200 cc's being the average for other patients.
And her bandage was removed so we got our first peek at the incision. Kenzie has a friend who had this surgery a few weeks ago and I had seen pics of her friend's incision so I knew what to expect. Not too bad.
Kenzie was excited to get to wear pants now! No more commando trips down the halls of the hospital. LOL
Usually, patients would be discharged from the hospital on day five but Kenzie was having alot of tummy trouble because of all the anesthesia and narcotic pain meds. They couldn't let her go home till that got resolved.


Walking up and down stairs is one of the requirements for going home. Kenzie didn't feel up to it on day five because of her tummy trouble but by day six she wanted to get it out of the way. And she did! She made it look easy!
That evening she was ready for a shower. I helped her with that and then french braided her hair for her.
I pointed out the silver lining to all this was that she and I got to spend the whole week mostly alone together. But I teased that she was kind of boring company because all she did was sleep.
Her reply:
"If we're being honest, you were pretty bossy."LOL
I think she's only referring to my constant coaching to get up and move around so that she would feel better sooner.
Yeah, I'm sure that's what she meant.



Kenzie ditched the hospital gown on the last day and got dressed. In pajamas, but still an improvement over a hospital gown.
She took longer and more frequent trips down the hall and even walked Dennis and Christy to the elevator after they came to visit. We still didn't know if we'd be going home at this point.
But later that afternoon the docs felt that she was beginning to solve the tummy troubles and that we could do what we needed to at home to help her completely resolve them so they let her go home!
Now it's Day Eleven and she's doing really well. She still has a lot of pain and takes pain meds very regularly to help her deal with that. The tummy troubles finally resolved yesterday evening and now it's only back pain she's dealing with. She's getting stronger every day tho and finding little tricks to make herself more comfortable.
I need to say a BIG thanks to everyone that helped us out so much.
Heather stayed here at the house all week and kept Jaxon and Emily fed and alive. Not to mention rescuing us roadside on the day of surgery!
Christy was so patient to help us get shuffled across town more than once trying to get the van to and from the repair shop. And still make time to visit with Kenzie after a long day at work.
Dennis, who is still recovering from his latest accident, made the hard trip to and from the hospital several times and helped me encourage Kenzie to do the hard work she needed to do to help herself get better.
And Roger kept everything else together all week plus made visits to Kenzie after long days at work. AND he made sure that I came home to a clean house and even dinner on the table when we got home from the hospital. He's a SAINT for that alone.




4 comments:
WOW! Kenzie went through surgery great and we're so proud of her for being so strong. The incision is bigger then I thought it would be lol! We can't wait to see her on Sunday and we're so so happy she's feeling better. We love you guys and will see you soon!
Wow she is one brave little girl. Glad she is home. I'm sure she feels better just being home. That was great everyone helping out like they did. I never dreamed she would have such a big incision either but I really don't know anyone that has had that surgery before. Now you both rest up and enjoy more time together. Love you all.
WOW!! I read on PYP that she had surgery but I didn't realize how major it was... no wonder I didn't see you posting much!!! I am glad she's getting around!!
Hi, That is great. I would love for Kenzie to email me sometime? My name is Rachel I live in South Carolina i am 18 years old. I found out this week i have to have surgery in Jan. I wanted to ask her a few questions. Like what degree was her curve, who was her surgeon, and things like that. I am very glad that she is doing great... Thanks Rachel Look forward to speaking with her. My email address is rgibbs1030@yahoo.com
Post a Comment