Monday, July 11, 2011

Heber Valley Railroad

Roger and I took Emily and Jaxon to the Heber Valley Railroad yesterday.

It was a nice day, not too hot. Thank goodness!
The railroad offers a few different trips and we chose the Provo Canyon Limited. It's a 3 hour trip through the mountains and near Deer Creek Reservoir, with a short stop at a park in the middle.

The ride itself was fairly slow and lazy which was kind of nice. We saw a lot of wildlife and wildflowers. There were a lot of people enjoying the reservoir as we traveled by which made me feel especially lazy as we rolled sleepily along the rails.
Emily brought a book along and pretty much read the whole time. Jaxon had a few small toys that he played with when he wasn't enjoying the scenery.


Roger and I just relaxed and enjoyed the ride,

occasionally snickering together over the guy across the aisle from us who never.stopped.talking the entire time. He was with a woman and they seemed to be on a first date. I felt sorry for her by the end. And I can't say for sure that she wasn't mute since I never heard her voice at all.
The trains are very old and not in the greatest condition. But that was kind of charming in a way.
 I'm not sure who was responsible for this single purple light bulb in the car we rode in, but I like them already. :) Obviously more fun than the person who installed all the red and blue ones.
The regular price for this ride would have been $100 for the 4 of us. I got a deal on the tickets and we paid $40 - I think? I'm glad we got the deal we did. If we had paid $100 I'd have said it was overpriced for what it is. But $40 was okay.
If they included some narrative about the history of the trains or the scenery, it would be worth more.
We arrived back at home to a great thunderstorm.
And some of the kids and grandkids came over for dinner and family game night. Everyone brought a large pizza to share so we could get right to the games without too much cooking or cleanup. I did make a dessert pizza that has been on my mind since I saw some blurb about it on Food Network.
It was as fantastic and diabetic coma inducing as I imagined it would be.
I didn't think to take a picture until we had devoured half of it.
Regular pizza dough, milk chocolate chips, white chocolate chips (Which completely melted and became a yummy kind of glaze. Awesome! And I don't much care for white chocolate usually.), sliced almonds, coconut, peanut butter chips, marshmallows and then some caramel topping drizzled over the top of the warm pizza.
YUM! You should try it.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Ha! The train ride sounds relaxing... away from the talker that is.
I'm glad your dessert pizza turned out yummy.

Chantel said...

Yep, I'm still here blogging. Glad you refound me. Just having a barfy summer. This pregnancy is kicking my butt. I'm getting too old for this stuff!! Sounds like you're having a great summer.