This recipe comes from the Good Housekeeping Vegetarian Meals cookbook. I didn't make any modifications.
We did have some marinated, grilled turkey tenderloins with the salad. But the recipe is intended to be a Main Dish Salad. I did not include the turkey in the points calculations. But FYI 4 oz of turkey tenderloin is 3 points.
Black Bean and Avocado Salad with Cilantro Dressing
Serves 4
5 points per serving
Approximate cost for this meal $6
Cilantro Dressing:
2 limes
1/4 cup light mayo
1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
2 Tablespoons reduced fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
From limes, grate 1/2 teaspoon zest and squeeze 3 Tablespoons juice. In blender, combine lime zest, juice and remaining dressing ingredients. blend until smooth. Cover and refrigerate if not using right away. Makes about 1/2 cup.
Salad:
1 small head romaine lettuce, about 1 pound, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 Kirby cucumbers, about 4 oz. each, unpeeled, each cut lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into 1/4 inch thick pieces
1 large ripe avocado, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 can (15-19 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
In large serving bowl, combine salad ingredients.
Add dressing and toss until evenly coated.
One serving is 1/4 of the finished salad. Roughly 3 heaping cups.
What we thought~
I really liked this salad. The cilantro and lime are definitely the stars of the show which is quite alright with me. I could eat fresh cilantro as a side dish every night and be happy.
The meal went together very quickly, about 15 minutes. And it's a perfect light meal for hot summer evenings. Fresh and yummy.
Roger said it was very good.
Kenzie wasn't home for dinner. She's a teenager now, you know.
Emily and Jaxon aren't big on salads and didn't eat much of it.




3 comments:
This sounds good! I love salads and homemade dressing so I'll have to try this soon. Thanks!
yummie...i'll soon be making this one..thanks for posting!
Oh yeah! This is right up my alley. Mmmm!
Post a Comment