Sunday, November 22, 2009

This and That (Weigh in too!)

What a week! Have I ever gone a whole week without blogging since I started this thing? LOL
I've been keeping very busy.

~Monday I went over to my friend, Paula's, house. We cooked some lunch and had a nice, long visit. She seems to be doing really well. I was so worried about her after her daughter passed away earlier this year. And she continues to be challenged by people in her life who ought to know better, care more, be more compassionate. But she is strong. Stronger than she has ever given herself credit for in the 22 years that I've known her. I managed to convince her to go with me on a weekend getaway in a couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to it. Look out, Logan! Here we come!

~I've been having some financial rebellion in my heart the past couple of weeks. There have been SEVERAL conversations with myself about how nice it would be to have a new house. I don't know why that is. I've always had such a sentimental attachment to this house that I could never imagine leaving it. I don't know what has changed. But I have been able to maintain my sanity enough to realize that now is not the time for us to be thinking about buying a new house. We are just around the corner from being debt free. Maybe when we get there we can think about a new house. Or maybe I'll have changed my mind again by then, who knows?

~Sort of on that same subject, you know how ~CHANGE~ has been my word for this year? And boy! Have there been changes! Almost all for the good. Well, I think I've already chosen my word for the coming year. Or maybe it has chosen me.
My word for next year is going to be ~SIMPLIFY~. I realize that I am late to the simplify party. SIMPLIFY was all the rage a few years ago. But I was too busy with my complicated life to take it seriously then. Too busy trying to solve problems that weren't mine to solve. Too busy worrying about things I couldn't control. Too busy "putting out fires", as they say, to spare a moment to make anything easier on myself. After a while, all that chaos, busy-ness, responsibility (real or imagined) kind of got to me. I am a stubborn woman. Must be the Missouri in me. So I began digging in my heels. Feeling like there was no way to do all I wanted or felt obligated to do so I just stopped doing. I kept a sharp focus on the goals of getting out of debt and getting fit. And I kept the dishes and laundry done. Mostly. But everything else I just kind of let go.
But I've been learning how to take care of myself again in the past two years. Learning to make good financial decisions that lead to true peace rather than stress. Learning to care for myself physically.
And I am ready now to SIMPLIFY. I can't even wait for the New Year. I got started this week!
I've been doing DEEP cleaning and thinking hard about how to make this space we live in easier to keep clean and feel calm and relaxed in. (Told you it was sort of on the subject of not buying a new house right now.) And it's working already! We've been working our butts off this week to get rid of things that aren't working for us and making changes that will make life simpler.
And I'm excited! Energized! I'm excited to share the results with you as the year goes on.
I guess it makes sense really, that CHANGE should overlap slightly with SIMPLIFY. At least it's making sense in my life. LOL

~Last Monday Paula asked me how I was planning to handle Thanksgiving on Weight Watchers. (She joined a couple weeks ago!) And I told her pretty much exactly THIS. 'Nuff said.

~We did a co op pick up again on Saturday. YUM! This was the Crossroads one. I saw some friend's pics of their Bountiful Baskets pick up for the same day and I had co op envie. LOL Oh well, lots of good food nonetheless. And we'll do BB in two weeks. Biweekly pickups are just about right for us. But weekly wouldn't be out of the question if it becomes available. :)

I just realized I forgot the rice and bread in this pic.

~Week 9(?) Maintenance Weigh In: 138.6 I haven't counted any daily points in many weeks. I'm no WW poster child. But it appears I really did make a CHANGE, huh? Maintaining without obsessing. And not without the occasional treat either. ;)

~I'm officially declaring victory over potty training. Jaxon has 3 diapers left. He'll wear them to bed for the next 3 nights and then we are DONE! He's quite proud of himself. He tells perfect strangers that he is a big boy and he pees in the toilet now. LOL I hope they'll forgive his boasting. And that you'll forgive me mine. I'm pretty proud of him too. And no more diapers, EVER? How simply awesome is that?!?! ;)

Off to bed now. Roger's off work for a week and I'm planning to make good use of having him here to help me SIMPLIFY. :)

4 comments:

Mel the Belle said...

Advice from a Professional House-Seller/Shopper: If you want PEACE and SIMPLICITY in your life, DO NOT THINK OF BUYING A NEW HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol ANY inch of sanity Gary and I may have had is now long gone!!!! mUuuuaaahhhHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Trish said...

Oh Mel! I needed to hear that! LOL I'll just stay put and create peace right here.
What's the progress on that gorgeous house?

Mel the Belle said...

Trish...Haven't you looked at my blog lately??? See the SAD baby face, etc?? lol
Tragic.
Mel

Christy said...

I'm late to this party... I've tried to come by and actually read what you'd written here, but never actually sat down long enough to do it.

LOVE your word! Who cares about it being "so two years ago", lol.
...and with diapers and potty training out of the way... so timely. You have done so much towards creating a better life in the areas of health and finance for you and your family that you can work on enjoying this continued success. SIMPLIFY then... how great is that going to be!! I'm excited for you.