Saturday, September 26, 2009

Today In My Life

We had a nice start to the weekend today! My back is feeling a lot better now. Still not 100%. Maybe 75%. But well enough to feel like getting out with the aid of my friends, Valium and TENS. LOL
My super cool friend and neighbor, Lori, hooked us up with a great deal on some red potatoes! 25 pounds for $7.50. Can't beat that! I have no idea where she got such a great deal. I was afraid to ask. She might have to kill me if she told me. So we'll just quietly go about the business of enjoying some delicious red potatoes and you can all just be uber jealous. okay? okay!

Today was the pick up day for the September Community Supported Agriculture coop. We are as pleased this month as last. What a great way to support local farmers and companies!
We got the Nutty Guys sampler. Local products. Super yummy! The bag of cashews alone would sell for nearly $6 in the grocery store but we got cashews, trail mix, golden raisins and peanuts all for only $10.

We ordered the Harvest Share again. $14. This month that included 5 gala apples, 5 Brigham City peaches (no secret how much I LOVE those!), 5 Utah pears, 5lb bag of organic red potatoes, 2 organic Utah acorn squash, 3 organic Utah green bell peppers, 6 organic Utah sweet corn, 5 Utah tomatoes, 3 pomegranates (I must admit though that these are the tiniest pomegranates I've ever seen. LOL) Almost forgot! We also got one loaf of artisan wheat bread and a pound of brown rice.
We also ordered the Farmer's Market share, all organic. $13.50 This month that included a spaghetti squash, 3 large potatoes, 5 tomatoes, 2 onions, 1 acorn squash, 1 yellow pepper, 1 red pepper and an unidentified herb. Anybody know what that is? LOL

Can't wait to make some yummy meals with all this healthy stuff this week.
After we grabbed our CSA pick up and put away the perishables we loaded up Emily and Jaxon and headed for the mountains! Oktoberfest is going on up at Snowbird. The weather was lovely! About 70 degrees with a nice little breeze.

We had some good food! Emily even managed to have an adventurous attitude about trying new foods. And there wasn't really anything she didn't like. We had Paprika Chicken, German Potato Salad, Saurkruat, Chicken and Apple Sausages and Apfelstrudel. In the end, she and Jaxon were most excited about the German Chocolate Cake though.
I also employed my sense of adventure and tried some BEER! After all these years I finally had a beer I liked! All it took was a brew which involves chocolate malt. Ha! How could that be bad?!
I wonder how hard it will be to find Uinta Oktoberfest Black Bier when it isn't actually Oktoberfest anymore?
We enjoyed the German song and dance performances while we ate.

We spent a little time watching the 1996 yo-yo champion do his thing. That was fun.
And then Emily and Jaxon spent some time at Kinderland. Bounce houses, slides and wild, energetic playtime.



We spent some time at Der Marktplatz. Checking out the wares of local craftsman. Emily got a great crocheted rainbow colored hat that drew many compliments. Jaxon got a new pillow for his bed with a very special Disney Cars pillowcase.
I was drawn to a handmade jewelry booth. This bracelet seemed to call out to me and I went back two or three times to consider buying it.


Finally the woman who made the jewelry took my hand and said that it was the Blue Lace Agate stones on the bracelet that I really needed. She said she could sense that I've had some tension and unrest lately and that the blue lace agate is a calming stone that helps us to speak and think on a rational plane. Also that the amethyst stones would help to balance thoughts. Hocus pocus or devine intervention? You decide. But the fact is that I try to live my life drama free but sometimes drama finds it's way in anyway when I least expect it. So I bought the bracelet. And I'll wear it for serenity. I think it's helping already. ;)
I also bought a necklace for my friend for Christmas. It promises to bring all the good and healing things I could wish for her. Shh...it's a secret. Don't tell her.
My back finally had had enough and we made the long trek back to the truck and headed for home.
I'll leave you with a few pics we took on our way out. What a beautiful part of the planet we are blessed to call home, huh?





5 comments:

tawnya said...

We also headed to the mountains yesterday, but ours was north and the destination was a 50 pound sack of true Idaho potatoes straight from the farm. I see lots of potato cooking in my future! Frozen homemade hash browns? Sign me up!

Trish said...

Tawnya~Do tell! Would red potatoes work well for that? I'm definitely on the hunt for potato recipes this week.

tawnya said...

I don't know, but I'm assuming they would. My MIL says she always boils them (skins on) until ALMOST done, lets them cool, shreds them and then freezes them (scored) on a cookie sheet so she can slip the scored squares into freezer bags. That way, she can just get however many squares out to cook that she needs...

With reds, I usually cut into chunks, cover them in a mixture of spices and garlic (dill, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley, mustard powder, etc) and olive oil and bake until tender. So good...

tawnya said...

Oh! I'm also thinking that after cooking and shredding and freezing, you could also defrost and then whip into potatoes...Half the work done for the holiday potato?

Becky said...

Ha- Aubrey wore the exact same thing yesterday. She calls it her Demi Lavato outfit. lol

Looks like you had fun!

I think that beer sounds fantastic... mmmmm chocolate infused anything can't go wrong. lol