But we got lost. We drove around for 45 minutes trying desperately to find the place. I finally gave up and used the cell phone to access the website and get the directions. And we arrived right at 8am for the pick up.
All that stress before 8 am! Oy!!!
1) If you do not arrive on time for the pick up they won't wait around for you. They just donate your order to a local fire department. You agree to those terms when you make the order.
2) If a cell phone was my only access to the internet I would easily give it up forever. What a pain in the butt!
So anyway...
We have really enjoyed the other co-op so much! But it's only once a month and we need WAY, WAY more produce than that. So we decided to try a different one that I heard about on PYP. This one is called Bountiful Baskets and comes around every two weeks, which is good. But it's a little different from the other one in that this produce is not necessarily locally grown or organic. This is the same stuff you'd get at a grocery store or restaurant.
We ordered the basic Produce Basket which included all this:
10 lb bag of small white potatoesromaine lettuce
bananas
1 lb carrots
grapes
6 plums
9 HUGE apples
9 Bosc pears
celery
1 pomegranate
2 white onions
3 persimmons (new to us! excited to try them out)
And we also ordered the Asian Ingredients Pack:
gingergarlic
snow peas
bok choy
napa cabbage
green onions
mushrooms
We paid $27 for all of that. That price included a $3 first time basket fee which we won't have to pay again next time we order. And a $1.50 "handling fee" which I'm not sure if we'll have to pay next time or not.
Either way, I think it was definitely worth more than the cost and I'm excited to get started on a meal plan for this week based on all this yummy stuff!




10 comments:
The looks of your pick up today is great. Maybe they have "fixed" the issues I had with it. Looks like I may need to give it a try again next week.
I'm impressed with it. There was one "bad" apple that we cut up and ate before it could ruin the bunch. ;)
Just a little bruise.
So glad you had a good experience once you got there! You will always have to pay the $1.50. It is charged to pay for the service they use to run the credit cards. Also many of the Utah sites will be every week starting in a couple cycles! PLUS this last week we (the site coordinators) got the choice to have organic baskets at our site. I am guessing this is going to start next Saturday with some of the Week A sites. The site I am Volunteer Coordinator for is too small but I bet South Jordan and some of the bigger sites will do both organic and conventional. The organic basket is a little more, $25. I just looked at the truck sheets and the organic shares got the same thing as conventional this week just organic.
Thanks for filling me in on that info Stephie! I expect to be participating fairly often. :)
Wow.. sounds like I need to do this!! Although 8 am... yikes.
If you get up at 4:30 then 8 doesn't seem so early. LOL
It's interesting to compare your pictures to what I got: I didn't get Romaine Lettuce although most people I saw had it. I only got one onion (but I just picked 20 from my garden so I'm okay). My apples are already gone, luckily my sister liven in an apple orchard so I can get more from her for the next few weeks. I got 3 bags of carrots! Wish they were mini carrots, but I'm sure I'll find some use. We got 2 pomegranates. The rest is about the same.
Mmmm. Asian food... now I gotta go read your meal plan!
I was wondering if you were going to be doing the volunteer work as well. Get Kenzie involved... she can put it on her scholarship applications.
(If she can find time she's not doing clinicals. Come to think of it, maybe something in her field would appeal to her more. Something for expectant mom's maybe...)
Rach~That is so weird! As for the carrots, you know that when you buy "mini" carrots in the store they are really just short lengths of regular carrots, right? "Baby" carrots are actually tiny little carrots but mini's are just cut up big ones. I watch the Food Netwrok too much, don't I?
Christy~Asian food. Mmmmmm.... Right? LOVE it! I knew I'd be ordering the Asian Pack the instant I saw it on the order form.
I got some advice for ya: Get a Navigational Program like Magellan or GoogleMaps on your phone..or a system for the car. Quite a lifesaver on "getting lost"! xo *Mel
Post a Comment