Friday, October 23, 2009

Meal Plan and grocery shopping warm fuzzies

I'm ahead of schedule with the meal plan for the coming week.
I'll do the shopping tomorrow or Sunday. We already did some of it at the new Winco last night. I'm going to really like that store.
I had instant flashbacks as soon as I walked in the door. I felt like I had been transported back in time. Back to shopping for our family of 7 at Food 4 Less about 11 years ago. I used to go grocery shopping every two weeks, on payday. Kenzie would come with me and I was pregnant with Emily. I would push one cart and pull another, both overflowing by the time I was done. I spent about $400 every two weeks on groceries. YIKES! That was before PYP obviously. We would go in the morning after the big kids went to school. I'd be at the store for a couple of hours. Kenzie always got a package of popcorn shrimp to have for lunch that day while I put away all the groceries.
And even farther back than that! I had memories of going grocery shopping at Food 4 Less with my friend and neighbor, Paula in the late 1980's. With our miniscule budgets and rattle trap cars we would look forward to that one little escape every two weeks. A chance to leave our babies with our husbands and go grocery shopping! Woohoo!!! LOL That was where my lifelong appreciation for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies started. You could get a cookie the size of your head at Food 4 Less for about a dollar. And I did. Often. It was my not so little indulgence to be enjoyed on the way home from the grocery store.
Even Roger had a sweet F4L memory. He mentioned that the first time he ever saw Kenzie was at Food 4 Less when he and I ran into each other there one day. She was a tiny little "tow head" back then. Not even 3 years old yet.
Ahhh....good memories. Thanks Winco.
Anyway...the meal plan:

~Aromatic Noodles with Lime Peanut Sauce
~Green Chile Pork Stew
~Red Lentil Coconut Curry
~Chicken Stir Fry
~Pumpkin Black Bean Soup
~Eggplant Parmesan, Spaghetti Squash
~Date night for us, Frozen dinner for the kids

Not neccesarily in that order.
No family dinner this week. I'm enforcing a quarantine since Emily and Jaxon have been sick.
But we'll all get together on Halloween for chili, corn bread and hot cocoa. Of course! :)

7 comments:

Becky said...

I had the same Food 4 Less thought! I was really surprised when I walked in actually.. that's pretty much the only place we shopped once we moved to Provo (when I was 10). Seeing the bins.. the signs.. the lines and bagging your own.. so crazy.

Loved your memories though.

Seemed like a lot of the produce prices were great.. I'm anxious to see if it stays that way.

Did you happen to check out the price of pull-ups? I forgot.. that and wipes would be the only reason I'd need to go to walmart. Woo hoo!!

Trish said...

I didn't check pull ups. I've never bought them. But I've been tempted to lately. LOL

Chantel said...

I wish our Winco would open up here. There's a rumor Ogden's getting one and I hope it's true. Anyhow... I got inspired by your bagel post and made bagels this morning. Just plain beause I didn't want to waste ingrediants in case they were a big flop. I was absolutely shocked when they came out looking like bagels and even more shocked when they tasted like them. They were so easy. I don't know why I never thought to make them before now. Thanks for the tip!

Trish said...

Chantel~ I know! Can you believe how easy it is to make them?!?! I wonder why I always thought they'd be so hard to make?

ShazBraz said...

Mmmmm...pumpkin black bean soup! I want to try that this week, too.

Norah said...

I can't wait for Winco to open up here in Roy and the Ogden area. Supposedly they are putting on in Layton too. I remember shopping Food4Less when I was little. The memories are still too funny.

tawnya said...

I LOVE Winco. I have a little fantasy that one will open here...