But I would like to enjoy my good health for what's left of my life. Which means limiting fried...well...EVERYTHING. So I was intrigued when my friend, Angel, posted a recipe for green tomato enchilada sauce on a message board we both belong to.
Goodness knows, we have plenty of green tomatoes to experiment with!
So, I tried it. I broke one of my rules about trying new recipes and made some substitutions right off. And it went badly. Which is why I try to never do that.
But I figured out how to fix it and ended up with about a gallon of yummy enchilada sauce. woohooo!! Angel's recipe is for canning but I just don't feel like it. So the sauce is going in the freezer and will show up in a meal plan very soon!10 cups chopped green tomatoes
8 Anaheim chiles, seeded and chopped
2 Tablespoons canned chopped jalapenos
(This would be too hot for many people. If you don't like it to hurt a little you might want to use less. Or none. We like it to hurt a little.)
8 cups chopped onions
1 cup lime juice (maybe even a little less if you don't really want to taste the lime)
12 cloves garlic, chopped
4 teaspoons ground cumin
2 Tablespoons ground Mexican oregano
2 Tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot. Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer 40 minutes. Puree mixture till smooth. Freeze in 2 cup portions.
Angel says you can ladle the hot sauce into pint jars and leave 1/2 inch headspace. Then process in boiling water bath canner for 40 minutes.
But she's way more ambitious than me. So I just froze mine.





2 comments:
I don't remember the real recipe well enough...what was your fix?
Angel used half as much of everything and a cup of lemon juice rather than lime for a single batch.
I used lime instead because that's what I had on hand.
It turned out way to limey so I made a second batch without juice and added it to the first. Now it's just right.
Post a Comment