Monday, August 1, 2011

A little more "yarden"

I knew I had missed something.
We also planted a forsythia this Spring.
At the old house my best friend, Paula, gave me a forsythia as a house warming gift when we moved in. It took YEARS to get it in the right spot so that it would grow and bloom every year. I just love that first bright yellow blossom to welcome Spring. Hopefully this one will be happy right here from the start. When it gets big enough I'll be able to see the pretty blossoms out the kitchen window.
Lilies have a special meaning to our family. For a couple of different reasons.
Crystal gave me two lily plants for Mother's Day last year, just before we moved here. When we got settled in, we planted them near the rock wall in the backyard. That first year we had some SERIOUS erosion problems back there and tons of dirt washed down the wall and pretty much buried the lilies. I thought for sure that they were goners.
But this spring they came back! I was so surprised. And they were beautiful!

I think we're getting the erosion problems under control now. The neighbors at the top of the wall did their landscaping finally. Just grass so far but it helped a lot. And Roger has been meticulously planting ground cover plants in all the little holes to get some root systems in place to help hold the soil back. The rock wall is kind of two levels and he has also planted wildflowers on the ledge. You can see some of them in the background of the tree pictures from yesterday.
Things are coming along nicely.

No comments: