Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Chicken Noodle Soup!

Time for round two for that chicken! Put a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a big stock pot. Heat it on high heat and dump all those bones and skin in there. Let the pieces brown really good for a couple minutes and then give them a stir and brown some more. Keep going till you think you'll burn the chicken if you go any further. It's probably sticking to the bottom of the pan by now and that's okay. Using roasted chicken and browning it like this is going to give the broth a really rich flavor.

Now pour about a gallon of water in. Stir and scrape the bottom of the pan to get all the browned bits off the bottom.
Now throw in some flavor elements. They don't have to be pretty because they won't be in the soup in the end. I used the rest of the rosemary, some flat leaf parsley (stems and all), a couple bay leaves, half an onion, and a celery stalk.
Throw it all in the pot and bring it all just barely to a boil. Then turn it down so that it's just simmering. Then walk away. The longer this simmers the richer the flavor of the broth. I let it go two hours but longer would be even better.
When you're ready to make some soup, strain the broth. I scooped all the big pieces out first and then poured the broth through a strainer. There's still alot of meat on those bones! I picked it off and tossed it in the pot later while the noodles were cooking.
After you strain it you get this. If you wanted to make really clear broth you could strain this again through some cheesecloth to get the bits of seasoning out. I didn't bother. You could also put this in the fridge to chill and then you would be able to skim the fat off the top. But it's mostly olive oil, which is good for you, and some chicken fat, which isn't good for you. But cheescake isn't good for you either and I enjoy that so I just left the fat there and continued on.
While the broth was simmmering I cut up a couple carrots (not too many or you'll only taste carrots in your soup), half an onion, a couple stalks of celery and the chicken I had pulled from the bones the night before.
I was originally planning to make homemade noodles but I ran out of time so I grabbed some of these.

I brought the broth up to a full boil and dumped the veggies, chicken and noodles in.

And let it boil for 30 minutes till the noodles were done and the veggies were crisp tender. While this was happening I picked more chicken from the bones and tossed it in.
TA DA! Chicken noodle soup. Lotsa noodles! YUMMY!


BTW I meant to stir the leftover gravy into the soup right at the end of the cooking time but life got nutso for a minute and I forgot.

4 comments:

Amber said...

I'm so glad you posted this recipe! I've been looking for a good chicken noodle soup recipe for awhile now.

Love you!

Christy said...

Oooh! One of my favorite things to cook.
Just in time to fight off the plague too, huh?
What is your favorite thing to cook?

Trish said...

My favorite thing to cook? Hmmm....I have more of a favorite style. Like Indian. Or Mexican. Or maybe Thai. LOL
Okay I guess I like to cook almost everything.

Heidi said...

Darn you, Dori! Because of your stinkingly delicious-looking recipes I am considering running out and paying FULL PRICE for some whole chickens.

FULL PRICE! Look what you've reduced me to. . .

Leggs