Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Roasted Chicken - My Way

A few years ago I was watching some morning news show (Good Morning America? Today? I don't remember) and Emeril was on the show making roasted chicken and vegetables. I finally learned how to make perfect roasted chicken without a roasting bag! LOL I've long since lost the actual recipe by Emeril but the basic concept is committed to memory now.
So..here's what you do.
For each chicken combine 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, a Tablespoon of minced garlic, some salt and pepper, and then get creative. I had some fresh rosemary that I minced up really fine. And I stirred in some lemon herb seasoning from a bottle in the pantry whose origins I do not recall. Sometimes I use lemon zest so the seasoning seemed like a good idea. It doesn't have to be precise. Just add in what you like to make a delicious, oily, sludgy, paste kind of thing.
Then lift up the skin on the breasts like this:

Take a big spoonful of the oily, sludgy, herby, yummy stuff and put it under the skin of each breast like this:
And then rub it all around and as far back as you can get it. You'll be surprised how far you can reach under the skin.
I didn't take pics of this part but if you turn the chicken over you can make a slit in the skin of each thigh and put a spoonful of yumminess in there too. That's what I do. Just use up all the oily stuff UNDER the skin. Then pat the chickens dry and sprinkle them with some seasoning salt or just S&P or you can use Emeril's Essence. That's what I do. You can buy it in the store or there are recipes on the net so you can make your own which is much more frugal.
( Thanks for not noticing that I seasoned the outside first. Ooops!)
Now, this is the important part to get crispy skin that the kids fight over. Put the chickens in the oven, on a roasting pan with a rack, for 30 minutes at 400 degrees. After 30 minutes, turn the oven down to 350 and continue roasting for about an hour or till the juices run clear when you poke it with a fork.
*Note: If you want to roast veggies with your chicken just cut up some potatoes, carrots, onion, celery in about 1 1/2 inch cubes and make double the oily stuff so you can toss the veggies with it. Then spread the veggies on the bottom of your roasting pan and put the chickens right on top of the veggies. The veggies become the rack.
TA DA!!! Yummy chicken dinner! I made the gravy with the drippings from the pan. Just heat them in a pan on the stove on medium high heat. Stir in some flour (couple Tablespoons maybe) Cook and stir for a couple minutes then stir in some canned chicken broth, bring to a boil while stirring. Add more chicken broth if it's too thick. The gravy was WAY better than any packet because of all the yummy rosemary, lemon and herb seasoning and garlic.
Two chickens are too much for us for one meal. But there is a method to my madness. I wanted this: all the chicken, bones and skin. And the gravy.

For another meal. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Christy said...

Way to go! Just like PW!

Did you see she's giving away knives. REALLY GOOD ONES!

Winning them would make us very happy! Good Luck!

Trish said...

I'm no PW! LOL
Just trying to give the girls the lessons I might have missed when they were underfoot. ;)
I missed the knives! Dang! I could use some happy.

Amber said...

That dinner looks great! That recipe makes me want to have that chicken for dinner tonight :)