Lately I have been trying a little game with myself to make sure we don't go over budget on groceries.
Every payday I take my biweekly grocery budget money out of the bank and put it in my cash envelope.
I hit the local stores for the "stock up" priced items I know we'll use. When I'm done with that I divide the amount of money that is left by the number of days left in the pay period and I try not to spend more than that per day. I may go over a tiny bit one day and under the next. But overall, it's been a pretty successful method for the past few pay periods.
I'll be going out today to stock up the following items at the following stores:
Reams:
Bunched spinach for 99 cents a pound. I'll bring this home and blanch it and freeze it in 10 ounce portions. I like to do this rather than buy boxes of frozen spinach because I can control the stems. Seems like the packaged frozen spinach has three stems for every spinach leaf! I like to use spinach in manicotti or lasagne dishes.
Fresh Express Garden Salad for $1.29 per bag
Mangoes for 50 cents each.
Cauliflower for .69 pound. I'm planning to buy about 10 pounds or so and blanch and freeze this in meal size portions. My goal is to cut out canned vegetables and use only fresh or frozen thru the winter. Which means I need to stock up now while the veggies are in season.
*For the past couple of years I have generally been avoiding processed, packaged food items so cutting out canned veggies falls in line with that. I just prefer cooking from scratch. It's healthier and it tastes better. And once you learn to shop for the best deals it isn't really anymore expensive.
Smith's:
Grapes for 99 cents a pound. Toddlers can eat their weight in grapes each day!! And now there are TWO of them in the house!
Kroger cottage cheese for 1.00 Roger loves to take cottage cheese to work for his lunch.
Mountain Dairy milk for $2.00 a gallon. This is a SUPER HOT price for milk these days. I experimented with freezing it last week and it worked out really well. It does take longer to thaw in the refrigerator than I anticipated so I still need to fine tune the system for thawing it. I'll buy 10 gallons at this price.
Kroger frozen corn and peas 14-16 oz bags for $1.00. As I said before I'm trying to eliminate canned veggies from our diets so I'll stock up on a bunch of these.
Smith's has boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.59 pound and I would go for that except that I got 40 pounds of them at Reams last week for even less. But $1.59 is still a GREAT price for those.
Alberstons:
mini carrots 99 cents per pound
Top Sirloin steak $3.99 pound. EXCELLENT price!
Albertsons pasta 85 cents each.
What are you going after this week?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
I'm totally copying on the milk as long as I can get whole milk. I hear you should dump a little out (to drink now) and then freeze upright. So that's my plan, on the freezing. Thank you for the great idea!
"We are living sacrificially today to pay off our past and change our future." I love it!!
Lol, Yes I definitely was referring to you when I bragged about your talent for finding super deals!
umm Maybe I will print out this post and buy what you bought. I love idea of freezing your own veggies. Really why have I never thought of that?
Post a Comment