(*Believe it or not, some of the credit goes to us and our journey to debt freedom. Really. Most years I get bummed out about spending money we don't have and I say I don't want anything, even if I do. Because I don't want to get further in debt. It's different this year! We have a gift budget and I felt fine asking for what I wanted and getting it. It felt like.....my birthday!!!)
First thing in the morning Emily gave me this beautiful necklace that she made. I LOVE it and I wore it all day long. I received lots of compliments. Emily wondered this morning why I wear the necklaces she makes me the day she gives them to me and then no more. I told her it's because I don't really wear necklaces at all. And that is true. But I'll make an effort to wear this beautiful one more often.

I got calls from all the kids throughout the day and even from a couple of their friends.And lots of birthday wishes via email and message boards from friends.
My Mom called mid-morning and asked if I'd like to go to lunch for my birthday. So she took Jaxon and I to Johnny Carinos for lunch. We had a nice visit and good conversation about the issues of the election.
Kenzie's gift to me was to babysit Jaxon and Emily so that Roger and I could go out on a date.
One of the things I've been wishing for was to go to the Body Worlds 3 exhibit while it's here in town.
It was incredible! I loved it! Click on that link above and check it out. Amazing stuff.One part of the exhibit was as amazing as all the rest but also a bit sad. There is a section of fetuses that have been donated. And there are displays of embryos in different stages of development.
Seeing the 8 week old embryo was surreal. A tiny little thing barely the size of the tip of my pinky finger. Approximately the size of the embryo (baby) we lost before we had Jaxon.
I was struck by how HUGE it had been for us to lose such a tiny thing.
As profound as that was, I still enjoyed the display very much. And that connection was in fact one of a series of connections I made.
I wanted to see the cruel little tendon in my elbow that requires excruciatingly painful cortisone shots to restore my ability to hold a water glass without dropping it.
I checked out the difference between a healthy shoulder socket and one that looks like mine feels. ugh!
And we looked for the plantar fascia on all the plastinates to really see where the pain in Roger's foot is coming from.
Of course we had to seek out gallbladders to see what strange little organ it was that "attacked" Amber last month and was consequently removed. Only the size of my thumb.
Funny how the tiniest parts bring the most pain. Maybe not so funny.
There is way too much to even describe. It was just fascinating and I encourage anyone who has the chance to go.
Scattered through out the exhibit were plaques with information and quotes.
One of my favorites:
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye." ~Antoine de Saint Exupéry
After the exhibit we went to Blue Iguana for dinner. Since it was near the exhibit and we had a coupon. ;) Turns out the the Blue Iguana does have a connection to the Red Iguana that Christy mentioned. The back of the menu explained that the original owners opened, first the Red Iguana and then the Blue. However they weren't able to maintain both locations so they closed them both. Later, the Blue Iguana and it's recipes were acquired by a new owner.
This time I had the Enchiladas Amarillas and now I think I need to figure out how to make moles because the mole on these enchiladas was FANTASTIC! mmmmmm.......
After dinner we went to the bookstore. I had received some coupons via email for this book and another. Unfortunately they were all out of "Audacity of Hope" so I'll have to check another store for that one.
I've been wanting to read these books and the library would have been a more frugal choice. But as a birthday gift the books will be around 20 years from now if the kids want to read about a former president.
I also got this book. I'm 39 now, ya know. And I just saw what happens to bodies that aren't taken care of. It's time I start taking care of mine. I made this goal once before but let's look forward rather than back. Okay? Okay. My goal is to lose weight and get in good shape by my 40th birthday and do what I can to maintain that for the rest of my hopefully long life.
I've seen the authors of this book on several different TV shows and I think that their approach to health and fitness appeals to me for the same reason that Dave Ramsey appeals to me for financial fitness. It seems to be basic, common sense, no bells and whistles, just do it kind of stuff. With some in depth technical info thrown in.It's working for our money.
Let's see if it works for my body.
So, that was my birthday. It was a great day.
Special credit to my awesome hubby who stayed up way past his bedtime so I could have a nice evening. I love you honey!




4 comments:
Trish, Sounds like you had a great birthday, good for you! I've wanted to see the Body Worlds exhibits for forever!! How COOL! And the necklace Emily made you is gorgeous! A future jeweler in the making! Glad you had a great day! xo *Mel
You certainly deserved a good birthday! I can't believe I didn't ask you how it was when I saw you yesterday. Blush.
Kaylee talked about how cool the exhibit was when she saw it a couple of years ago.
I've done the whole cadaver thing and it didn't bother me at all, but it seems freaky to see dead people posed into different positions.
Kaylee didn't seem freaked out about it at all when she went and Kenzie thought it was very cool and you liked it too. Much more interesting that an anatomy book with pictures I suppose.
What a beautiful necklace! You are a very lucky mom!
I'm reminded of the conviction you had to exercise while pregnant with Jaxon. No doubt you'll have huge success with getting physically fit and your You on a Diet Program and your very attainable goal to be Forty and Fabulously Fit!
Maybe you can get me motivated in that direction too! I had never even heard of Dave Ramsey until that breakfast that you said you were going to the Live event. You get total credit for turning me on to Dave and that's been working out pretty good! Lead on!
I wish you a succesful year and may you achieve all that you imagine.
Happy 39!
Trish Happy late birthday. Sounds like you had a good one. I wanted to see that exhibit too when it was in cleveland but never got to. I can't get Ambers blog up anymore is she not blogging?
Happy belated Birthday!!! How did I miss it on PYP?
Post a Comment