Saturday, November 29, 2008

Meal Plan and Grocery Challenge

I've set my goal to finish out the year on less than $500 for groceries (and diapers, health and beauty, cleaning supplies, etc.) . Hopefully FAR less. Even with the added challenge of holiday baking. Wish me luck and watch my progress on that ticker up there at the top.
(Pay no attention to the fact that it's a "fundraising" ticker. LOL It was the closest thing I could find to what I wanted to track.)
I just sent Roger to the water store for water that doesn't need to be chewed before swallowing. So we've spent $3 so far.

I rummaged around the place and came up with the following meal plan based on what we have on hand. For these meals we will only need kaiser rolls, lettuce and eggs. I'll update the ticker when we go shopping.
Oh! I'm going back to cooking breakfast for the kids each morning too. Cereal leaves them hungry long before lunch and it costs more than a hot breakfast too.
And lunch for Roger, Jaxon and I will primarily be leftovers.

Breakfasts~
Pancakes and fruit
Muffins and fruit
French toast
Eggs and toast
Apple Blueberry Strata (I hope this will be good because we have four loaves of apple bread in the freezer that no one will eat as-is. I'll post the recipe if it works out.)

Dinners~
Creamed turkey, biscuits, leftover mashed potatoes and creamy corn.
Turkey, cranberry, pecan salad sandwiches, Leftover sweet potatoes
Grandma's Enchiladas, Spanish Rice, Corn, chips and salsa
Turkey Burgers (like this) , carrots
Crockpot chicken tacos, leftover spanish rice, black beans, chips and salsa
Turkey Soup, Homemade rolls
Crock Pot Potato Soup, Homemade rolls

2 comments:

Christy said...

FUNNNN!

I love this!

Gayle said...

Great idea with the ticker. Isn't it amazing when you start with what you already have? You really don't have to buy a whole lot that way.