I have spent the last several hours doing some cleaning.
I scrubbed Jaxon's room from floor to ceiling. I removed from his room all the baby things that he has outgrown. No further need for monitors, or backpack carriers or crib mobiles. *sniff, sniff*
Washed the walls, scrubbed the floor, etc, etc.
And then I shampooed the carpet in the basement bedroom that will become the food storage/sewing room/wine cellar. It really needs to be replaced but it's good enough for the next purpose of the room.
There are now TWO absolutely, spotlessly clean rooms out of thirteen rooms in this house.
As I was shampooing the carpets I was thinking about what a constant state of metamorphosis this house has been in since the moment it was built.
That room alone, the one I was shampooing, has served the following purposes over the years
1)Bedroom to my brother and his wife
2)Bedroom to Dennis when we separated and prepared to divorce
3)Bedroom to Kayleigh
4)Bedroom to Mackenzie
5)"Coupon Cave" when Misty and I ran a coupon clipping service
6)Storage
And it has served a couple of those purposes more than once!
It's good tho. Change is good. People who move often get lots of opportunities to declutter and reorganize. I suppose the constant transformation of rooms in our house serves the same purpose.
As I cleaned and scrubbed the morning away I had the following thoughts:
~Painted wood floors in the little kids' rooms was absolutely genius. Jaxon's floor could use a fresh coat of paint but that is much more cost effective than having to replace carpets. Which wouldn't clean up nearly as easily as the painted floors do.
~Carpet is kind of unsanitary.
~Kids have too many toys. As I wiped each one down with some Lysol enhanced hot water I felt even more encouraged to pare down Christmas.
~That 4000 sq foot model home we looked at and drooled over last week is not what we need. I can barely keep up with cleaning this "little" 2000 sq foot home.
~I'm grateful for a safe, comfortable home that seems to always find a way to suit our needs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Nice post. I love the catharsis of cleaning!
I'm intrigued by the painted wood floors...I've thought about doing that in my living room/kitchen. Did you do it yourself, by any chance? Also, do your kids piggies get cold? I've worried about that with putting it in a bedroom, although I LOVE the way it looks.
We did paint the floors ourselves. It's so easy and a REALLY inexpensive way to finish floors.
There's a big area rug in Jaxon's room. It covers most of his floor.
But Emily's floors ahve been bare since we did it.
I wouldn't say it has made their piggies cold. Their rooms are over a garage too.
Let me know if you want more details.
I might just have to bug you for those details when I get to that point. We have THE ugliest, oldest carpet in our living room. It gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it and I desperately want wood in there instead.
Post a Comment