Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I wish you could smell this picture!

Or taste it! Mmmm........ So yummy!
I got a great deal on fresh basil and whipping cream this week. While looking for a good way to use it I came across this recipe on FoodNetwork.com. I happened to have some fresh mint and oranges on hand. I was all but destined to make this recipe!
And I'm so glad I did!
OMG...just the smell!
MMMmmmmm.........
Ahem.

So the recipe is by Racheal Ray and it orginally calls for linguini but I had bow tie, so I used bow tie. You've got to try it at least once. It only takes about 20 minutes to prepare. And did I mention that it smells DIVINE? Because it does. All lemony and orangey and minty and basily.
FYI If you're on weight watchers, count this as a zillion points and don't eat again till Christmas.

Pasta del Magnifico alla Graga

1 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons cognac or dry sherry
zest of 1 lemon
zest of 1 orange
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
12 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
1/2 pound linguini, cooked to al dente
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

In a skillet over medium low heat, heat cream. Add cognac or sherry, lemon and orange zest and salt. Simmer sauce 7 to 10 minutes. Add mint and basil to sauce. Toss hot, drained pasta with sauce and grated cheese.

2 servings

6 comments:

Mel the Belle said...

OMG, that sounds and looks heavenly! Did you use Cognac or Sherry?
YUM!
xo
Mel

Trish said...

Sherry.
But it was not REAL sherry. It was cooking sherry from the grocery store. Which is not where you can buy real sherry in Utah.
Still delicious in spite of the Utah limitation. ;)
BTW When I asked Jaxon who that sketch/picture was he said, "Me."
LOL

Mel the Belle said...

How CUTE! ("me"!!!) It DOES look a lot like him...he has a good artistic eye...really!!!
RE: "fake" Sherry...OMG, I always forget about these "limitations"..I cannot believe in this day and age we still have places with limits on alcohol..its so bizarre to me. I remember being on the way to Denver somewhere and wanting to pop in a mini mart for some wine and Jack Daniels and could not do it and I was like "HUH????"...I absolutely had no idea (10 yrs ago) that there were limits. There's a Cali-girl for ya! lol Hugs to you all *Mel Where IS the original Emily picture? Do you still have it? Just curious.. I like to know where my Art ends up. Utah trash? lol

Mel the Belle said...

OH PS I meant to say that was on a Sunday....xo *Mel

Trish said...

You have to go to state licensed liquor stores every day of the week for anything stronger than beer here. Which is lower in alcohol than most places. 3.2 percent. Oh. And just a couple months ago they even moved the wine coolers to the liquor stores. Utah has re-named them "alco-pops" and deemed them a "gateway beverage to teenage alcoholism". (rolling my eyes). Only you can't actually buy them in the liquor store either because the producers are not willing to re-label wine coolers for only one state. ugh!
I'm tempted to go on and on about that particular piece of judicial BS but I won't. :)
OF COURSE I still have the original Emily picture! I don't have alot of room to display pics so it's in a box right now waiting for us to build our new family room and then it'll get rehung. I'll give it to Emily one day probably.
Trash? Are you nuts? LOL

Mel the Belle said...

Oh, I just wondered since it wasn't a familiar picture to Jaxon. Yah, the licensing and laws stuff there on alcohol is really funky to me. "Gateway to teenage alcoholism"..OMG. Like the kids can't get it (or worse) if they really want to. What do they "label" Crystal Meth???!!! LOL This world is insane. What are your Thanksgiving plans, dear chef of the Universe? I hope to see some (lots) of pics of your dishes this T'giving! Happy Thanksgiving btw! Love and Light, *Mel