One of my PYP pals who blogs over at The Little Red Hen Food Site turned me on to a blog about bread,
A Year In Bread! In the interest of stretching our grocery dollars I checked it out and was excited to try the recipe for Farmhouse White bread. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've made bread the old fashioned, get your hands in the flour and KNEAD way.
The bread is much lighter than the recipe I've been making in the Kitchenaid. More like the kind of bread Roger likes best. I thought it was pretty good too. And kneading the dough by hand was kind of fun and almost meditative.
The recipe makes 3 loaves but I decided at the last minute to try to make buns out of the third portion. Worked like a charm and now I don't have to buy kaiser rolls for our turkey burgers later this week. Nice! And we'll have yummy homemade bread for our turkey salad sandwiches tomorrow night.Notes on the grocery challenge:
Tonight we had leftovers - part 2 for dinner. Basically cream sauce with some of the leftover turkey and all the leftover gravy stirred in. Served over biscuits.
Roger went to the store for eggs and spent $1.50.




7 comments:
very nice loaves! way to go. :) mmm...
YOU ARE SO AMAZING!!
I want to be you some day. lol
Cream Sauce and homemade white bread... I think I just gained 5 lbs reading that!!! LOL but I can almost smell it over here! I've made all kinds of homemade breads, including whites..try making some homechurned butter sometime to go with it...to die for. My system can't tolerate that richness anymore, but every every once in awhile, YES! YES!! I'd throw some of that homemade Cranberry sauce on top of a slice w/ homemade butter and sleep for a week! Yum! Breads are fun. I've pretty much cut them out for health reasons, and to me they feel more like "cake" these days, but they ARE beautiful objects to behold! Good work there! *Mel PS Gonna post some of my "stuff" tonite...all organic, mostly Vegan which prolly doesn't appeal to you, but it IS healthy and what I have to eat, healtwise..and still, soooo goood once you get used to cutting out the fat, etc.
Hey Mel!
Don't let our fat-laden meals fool you. I actually have a very sophisticated palate and love ALL kinds of foods.
Tradition (Roger's sweet Mom always made creamed turkey with their T-giving leftovers) and frugality have a lot to do with why we eat what we eat.
It's not helping my goal to be fit by 40 tho. Something's gotta change! I just wish it didn't have to be what I put in my mouth. :sigh:
T, I didn't mean to suggest that your mealplan was "total gluttony" (as you said..lol), ...It looks fantastic. I'd love it. Its just that I can't eat that way due to my illness. If I could, I'm sure I would! :) Re: my "artistic rolls"..I don't know if you could tell in the picture, but they WERE artistic...some of them were shaped (I molded them to be so) like little animals. There was a piggy for Bella, a cat's face for Sara, a baby, and a couple were traditional/random. It was an experiment gone very very wrong. haha! But they were yummy! that's what counts, right?! I'm hungry after looking at your food again. xo *Mel
Trish, that bread looks great! I love the farmgirl site...so many great breads. I baked the honey bran whole wheat yesterday. See you over at PYP!
I saw you at Gayle's Grocery Shop Challenge and wanted to see what you were up to. I think the bread looks amazing. I can just smell it already!
Post a Comment