I knew I had to bake something.
The kids love bagels for breakfast but they're a little expensive. Especially since the 3 of them could easily eat a whole package in one day.
I've never made them at home before so I thought I'd give it a shot. I found lots of recipes for plain bagels online but I had this crazy idea that PUMPKIN bagels would be good. Maybe it's the weather.
All the recipes I could find for pumpkin bagels were to be made in a bread machine. I don't own one. And most of them called for ingredients I don't have on hand.
So I improvised. And, for my first time, I'd say I did exceptionally well!
I want to call them Spiced Pumpkin Bagels because pumpkin spice bagels just sounds like plain bagels with pumpkin spice in them. No! These actually have pumpkin puree in the dough. And spices too. See my logic? LOLSpiced Pumpkin Bagels
Makes 8
WW points per bagel: 4
Makes 8
WW points per bagel: 4
2/3 cups warm water
3 Tablespoons lightly packed brown sugar
1 package dry (2 1/4 teaspoon) active yeast
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
3 cups bread flour
1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons honey
In the bowl of a stand mixer fittd with a dough hook, combine 1/4 cup warm water, 2 Tablespoons of the brown sugar and the yeast. Let stand 10 minutes.
Stir in remaining water and sugar and then pumpkin puree.
In separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt and spice. With mixer running, begin adding flour mixture into the yeast mixture.
Mix until dough forms a ball and then for another 10 minutes.
Except my mixer started making tired noises. So I gave it a break and kneaded the dough by hand after about 5 minutes. I hope I won't be asking for a new mixer for Christmas. :(
Place dough in a clean, oiled bowl. Cover and allow to rise 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
Punch dough down. Divide into 8 equal pieces. Let rest 10 minutes.
Shape each piece into a ball, flatten slightly and use your fingers to poke a hole in the center, stretching the hole to about 1 1/2 inches wide. Rest bagels, covered, for 30 minutes longer.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
Bring a large pot of water to boil and add the honey.
Place two bagels at a time into the water. Boil for one minute, flipping after 30 seconds.
Scoop out with a slotted spoon and place on prepared baking sheet.
Bake 25 minutes.
Cool on a rack.
SOOOO good! Chewy on the outside, softer inside. YUM!
I wanna try adding chopped craisins. Maybe dried apricots, raisins, pumpkin seeds, what else?
I see a lot of homemade bagels in our future.
And I figure it cost about 50 cents to make 8 bagels.
WHY didn't I try this sooner?




8 comments:
Lol, yes why did you not try this sooner! I tell you I make almost everything from scratch as it saves money and tastes so much better. If your serious about trying your hand at more stuff you should consider getting the King Arthur Flour's Baking Companion. It has some amazing recipes in there. Also their blog has really good recipes like the pumpkin cinnamon rolls I posted on my blog.
I heart everything pumpkin.. guess who happened to buy a can of pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice mix today???
You make it sound easy too. hmmm I might actually try this. Only I don't know that I could only eat one.. maybe if I froze some..
The additions sound good.. my favorite ones (back from high school) from Einsteins were sun dried tomato and also the orange/craisin. mmmm
yum yum. definitely going to try these too. :)
These were literally my very first attempts. So if you girls come up with improvements, please let me know! I have the rest of that can of pumpkin to use up ya know.
wow!! I didn't ever think it could be so simple to make bagels at home. My kids love bagels! Nice job on the improvising they look perfect. :)
Is there a difference between canned pumpkin and cooked and then pureed stuff from last years Jack-O-Lantern? I have a few bags frozen in the freezer that I honestly will probably never use.
Rach~It should work just the same. Canned pumpkin is just pureed pumpkin.
It's absolute genius! Very cool! You are a diva!!
Post a Comment