Lately I've been feeling like my younger kids have gotten a little ripped off when it comes to holidays.
There was a time, roughly 20 years ago, that I had lots of enthusiasm for the holidays and tried to do lots of fun activities with the kids, put up lots of decorations. I had fun making magic for them.
And then I got seriously outnumbered and dropped the ball!
But I resolve to rectify this situation beginning now.
Just before Thanksgiving I saw this cute idea over at 320 Sycamore to make a pretty centerpiece.
I went immediately to the Dollar Tree to buy the plain white candle. I found a large vase here at home. I was excited! And then I found out that our leaves had already gone past the point of pretty to just kind of blah.
I set it aside thinking I'd buy some pretty fake leaves. Never did.
Then I thought I'd put some kind of red something in the vase for Christmas but never got around to it.
But look at me go NOW!!!
Nearly six weeks before Valentine's Day and I have made my first decoration for the house!
All it cost me was $2 for the candy hearts.
I'll pick up some pretty wired ribbon at the dollar store next time I'm in there. For now I grabbed what I could find in the craft room. Pink ribbon and pipe cleaner for a temporary bow.
I'm on the hunt for more fun (cheap!) Valentine-y things to make and do.
I also bought Jaxon's Valentine's Day gift today.
I am on a roll!
Edited to add...A pretty wired ribbon! That's better! Emily says it's too big but what is it that they say? Go big or go home! :)
Linking up to the Make Your Monday at The Twice Remembered Cottage!




8 comments:
I LOVE IT!!!!! I have a vase that had tiny pinecones in it and a red ribbon for christmas.. I'm totally going to steal your idea. It's so cute!
I need to be better about fun things like that. Almost 10 years ago I went all out... now.. not so much.. lol
Getting excited over the holidays? Pretty cool!
I've always thought you did pretty good around this, but if you know you've got it in you to make it cooler for the kiddies than I say go for it! Keep it fun (for you, too)!!
crap. people buy their kids Valentine's day presents?
Becky~It just starts to feel like one more thing you'll have to clean up later. Right? But I'm gonna suck it up and do it anyway.
Christy~ I used to do so much more. For the past few years I've only put out about 1/4th of the Christmas decorations. This year we didn't even decorate cookies. *gasp!*
ShazBraz~ Just something small. $10ish. And a few treats. No biggie.
really cute!! my mom was just saying the same thing... running out of steam... because my youngest sister said she got the shaft and missed out on a lot. Weird because my other sister and I (we're the oldest) always thought the youngest one's were spoiled and WE missed out. Now I'm a mom I realize you just do the bst you can!!
Very cute! You are a wonderful mom to all of your kids. I can tell that you love them all to pieces! I think that looks like a nice gift idea for someone who needs a little TLC!
Oh dear, I don't have seven children as an excuse and the same thing happens to me all the time. See something, start preparing to do it and then never get around to it. You made a wonderful decoration and you are lightyears ahead of me when it comes to Valentine decorating
Really! Could it get any simpler than that??? I have a 3-pc set that I'm going to do this with. I just have to go out and buy the heart candy (which doesn't appeal to me at all) which will be right next to the piles of chocolate candy (which appeals to me more than air itself!) without buying all of the chocolate candy. Thanks for sharing! I've posted a link at childmade.com.
Post a Comment