We had some electrical technical difficulties for the first part of the day that slowed us down a lot.
Here's where we were yesterday when the contractor finished his last touches.
Today we made several more trips to Lowe's. WHY must there be SO MANY trips during a big project like this?!?! I wish there was a psychic delivery service you could subscribe to when working on big projects. As soon as you discover that you need one more this or two more thats a friendly Lowe's or Home Depot employee would receive a telepathic message and have the item on it's way to you within minutes. How cool would that be?!?!
Anyway..we got the electrical problem straightened out, a bunch of cleaning done, lights installed, heat and cold air intake vents installed, smoke and fire detector installed, shelving on the ledge and 90% of the baseboards and door casings installed. Only 90% because...you guessed it! We ran a little short of door casing and it was too late to make a run to the store. So that will be finished up first thing tomorrow.
Here's how it looks tonight. I could take pics since we finally had lights installed but the pics aren't fantastic because it was 10 oclock at night. :P And let me just go ahead say it...the lights aren't fantastic either. But I'll be honest, I wasn't about to spend hundreds on light fixtures when we are trying to sell. So these will have to do.
I'm excited for tomorrow. We plan to finish up the door casings and baseboards, caulk and putty the joints.
And then PAINT!!! YAY!!! The FUN part!!! Finally!!!!
Also, a technician is coming to put in a satellite cable so we can move the TV out of the living room and down into the family room. I've only been dreaming of that for 16 years. Never let it be said that I can't be patient.
See ya tomorrow!




6 comments:
I love the idea of the psychic service.
It doesn't matter now, but as I am reading this, I am wondering why you put the baseboards and casings in BEFORE you painted and had carpet put in. It seems like you doubled your work by putting them in first and then having to tape. We found taping to not work well and so we pulled all baseboards out, not only for the flooring, but the painting and then put them back in after. I would never tape again after doing it that way.
We put them on before we paint because I have mad "cutting in" skills. :) No, really, it's because we prefer to put them on and patch the nail holes before we paint. Then I always paint all the trim in a room first so it doesn't matter if I get paint on the walls. Then I do the walls using my previously mentioned mad skills and/or an edging tool I've posted about before.
As for why they went on before the carpet, you have to. They won't lay the carpet without baseboards because it's the tack strip and tucking the carpet under the baseboard that holds the carpet in place. But when we do any other kind of flooring (hard wood, tile or painted subfloor) we do the baseboards last.
I have no luck with taping either. I don't even bother with it anymore. I just had to develop a steady hand and find a brush that works well for me.
Oh! And you also have to be a contortionist sometimes. That's why I'm so sore today. LOL
Interesting, here they preferred having the baseboards out. It was easier to lay the carpet and had a better fit. I wonder why the difference.
We have horrible edging skills, thus the reason that I will never paint my own house again. I hate it.
Congratulations on having such good skills!
Seriously?!?! It's literally on the paperwork here that the baseboards MUST be in place at 3/8 inch from the subfloor. Weird. You PNWers! ;)
Absolutely 100% serious. We didn't have any baseboards in place when we had our carpet laid, and they said it was easier. We then put them in after.
Mr. Wolf wants to know what tool you use to help you with your mad edging skills.
This paint brush is a perfect fit for me. perfect angle and short handle.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_253296-11591-90507_0_?productId=3028468&Ntt=shortcut&Ntk=i_products&Ns=p_product_price|1&pl=1¤tURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=shortcut$y=0$x=0&spellCorrectedTerm=
And this edger tool. But it let me down a little this time. Not sure why. I love it at the ceiling though. Nice sharp lines.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_40657-1077-100C_4294935484_?productId=3143337&Ntt=edger&Ntk=i_products&Ns=p_product_price|1&pl=1¤tURL=/pl_Home%2BDecor%2B_4294935484__s?Ntk=i_products$Ntt=edger$Ns=p_product_price|1
Post a Comment