Monday, March 2, 2009

Do I HAVE to call it a "diet"?

Ya know...I don't really like to say "I'm on a diet" or"I joined Weight Watchers".
I think it sounds like I'm doing something extreme to gain a temporary result.
Because I've only ever dieted once before.
It was extreme. (It was Atkins.)
And it was temporary.
Hence the new weight loss goal which is really just the old weight loss goal. AGAIN.

I'd rather say...
I've made a conscious decision to go back to eating reasonable portion sizes, more fresh fruits and vegetables, less processed foods and just generally take better care of myself so that I can avoid having to depend on a less than stellar healthcare system as I age.

That's reasonable. Right?

5 comments:

Becky said...

I totally agree and couldn't have said it any better.

Drew and I kind of joke about it.. For example, on Carson's birthday this past wed. I bought a round cake from walmart and 1/12 of the cake was TEN points. So we joked that I was making a lifestyle change to not eat it rather than saying "I'm on a diet". And I also made a separate WW dessert, which I did eat.

I love that it's so much about just being healthy and making smart choices.

Mel the Belle said...

As someone who IS (not for weight reasons tho) temporarily dependent on the less than stellar Healthcare system, I give big Kudos to you for doing this! You are amazing to be able to stick to this eating plan!! xo *Mel

Amber said...

You're right it's not a diet. Congrats for sticking with it for so long. You'll be able to climb the hills at the zoo in no time lol. :)
Love you!

ShazBraz said...

Well said...I am right there with you. I hate saying the "d" word, but sometimes find myself saying it because it is easier. I think if you use it too much, though, you're setting yourself up for disappointment; if you go ON a diet then you will eventually go OFF of it.

Christy said...

Very Reasonable!
Depending on who you are talking to you could also use...
"I don't really eat that type of thing, usually. I enjoy eating more healthful foods, in general."
or...
"I ask myself "What's In It For Me?" If the first thing that springs to mind is a big butt, or clogged arteries...I'm not likely to pick that food as my first choice."
I'm with you. I want to lose and then I want to maintain the good habits I put in place that helped me meet my goal.
Same with getting out of debt. Once I'm out of debt I want to stay that way. It is as Becky said, a lifestyle change.