Sunday, March 29, 2009

Recipes we tried this week...

~For the family dinner last week I made a side dish called Brown Rice and Bulgur Salad. I found the recipe on the WW website. The original recipe calls for lemon juice and a choice of mint or cilantro for flavorings. I went with lemon and mint. Some of the kids didn't care for it so I'm thinking I'll do it again with lime juice and cilantro instead. When I do, I'll post the recipe.
This was my first experience with bulgur and I had a hard time finding it in the store. I finally found some Bob's Red Mill brand. I'm glad I looked so hard for it because I really liked it. It's a bit chewy and nutty and added a nice flavor and texture to the brown rice. This is a side dish that will probably show up a lot for us during the summer grilling season.

~For breakfast one morning I made the Fruit and Cheese Stuffed French Toast from the WW in 20 Minutes cookbook. It was delicious! Emily and Jaxon enjoyed it as well.

~A definite keeper was the Turkey-Green Chile Tacos recipe from WW in 20 Minutes (page 159)
Very fresh and super easy dinner. I served the tacos with the Black Bean, Mango and Tomato Salad that I blogged about last week (or the week before?). It was a light, crispy, fresh dinner which was in total defiance of the snowstorm brewing outside our kitchen window that day.
I've always loved hard shell tacos so I was extra happy.
For some reason Emily has never had a hard shell taco before. How did that happen?!? She LOVED them and asked for leftovers later that evening and again for breakfast the next day.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Bulgar sounds interesting. That's cool you liked it.
I didn't think I'd see Stuffed French Toast on the menu! How cool is that?? TGINA!! (Like TGIF, except "Not Atkins"!!) Right?
That is pretty weird Emily hasn't had a hard shell taco before... lol. Sounds like she takes after her Momma loving them so much!

Amber said...

Emily asked for tacos for breakfast? That's awesome! :)