Saturday, March 7, 2009

Meal Plan (and recent recipe trials)

We went ridiculously over budget last week. We spent more than twice as much as we had budgeted. So, to correct that we cut back to $70 for this week and the next two.
We went shopping today and we did pretty well. We spent $90 ($10 of that on rechargable batteries to fix our phone problems) but when we got home there was $47.50 in rebates checks waiting for us in the mailbox. I'll add the extra $27.50 to the budget for the coming two weeks.

Breakfasts for this week will be hot cooked meals, as usual, but I did get a 97 cent box of Frosted Flakes as a special treat for the kids.

Dinners
This week I'm trying recipes from the Weight Watcher's website rather than from my cookbooks.
~Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce, Cumin and Chipotle Roasted Broccoli
This was leftover from last week's meal plan because we had a C.O.R.N. last night to prepare for grocery shopping today. I switched it up a little by using a combo of broccoli and cauliflower this time. Roger liked the cauliflower better than the broccoli. I liked the combo.
~Greek Lemon Chicken and Potatoes, Salad, Pita Bread
~Gingered Pork, Pineapple and Peppers, Broccoli with Orange Sesame Sauce
~Frozen Pizza for the kids, Date Night for us!
~Roasted Brisket, Garlic Mashed Potatoes
~Orange Chinese Chicken, Sesame Sauteed Green Beans and Red Peppers
~Moroccan Spiced Pork Chops with Apricot Couscous, vegetable to be determined.

This week I made Pork Chops with Corn-Bell Pepper Relish from the WW in 20 Minutes Cookbook (page 104) And a black bean side dish to go with it.
The pork chops were fine. Pan fried, nothing special. But the corn-bell pepper relish was fun. A new and interesting way to have corn that made me forget that I usually just drop a half stick of butter in it and call it good. I'm really shocked at how little butter we use now. And a little embarrassed about how much we used to use. yikes!
The black bean side dish was something I threw together.
2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of RoTel tomatoes, undrained
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
Simmer till hot on low heat. Remove from heat and stir in a handful of chopped cilantro.
Yummy and low in points.
Use "Milder" RoTel if you're a lightweight. We like it to hurt a little so we use "Original". ;)

2 comments:

Christy said...

Nice to get that much in rebates,like that. Especially since you were going to have to cut back.
Mimicking your daily breakfast, I decided to get some banannas and bread so I can have a midmorning snack.
I also bought some Almond Butter to try instead of peanut butter. It's really good, but not really different enough from peanut butter to justify the cost. I'm hoping to distribute eating a little more throughout the day as you have done.

Trish said...

I try to consume my "points" equally throughout the day because I have noticed that I get pretty cranky and scatterbrained when I get too hungry.
So eating every 3 hours keeps me feeling pretty even as the day moves on.