Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Peach Butter - YUM!!!

Remember the peck of jamming peaches we bought on Saturday? I decided to make peach butter instead since we still have some peach jam in food storage.
I found this recipe to do it in the crock pot. Which is convenient because you don't have to keep a constant watch on it to prevent it from sticking or burning. It turned out GREAT and made the whole house smell heavenly for a solid 24 hours. Who needs Scentsy, huh?
I used that link as a jumping off point and then made my own changes cause I'm a rebel that way. And because I wanted less sugar for the sake of my backside.
Here's what I came up with.

Peach Butter

1 peck of peaches, peeled, pitted and pureed
(resulted in 5 quarts of pureed peaches)
1 pound of honey
1 cup of Splenda
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Place all ingredients in 6 quart slow cooker. Mix well. Put lid on sideways or suspended on two wooden spoons like this...
You want the moisture to be able to evaporate.
Cook on high for about 24 hours or until reduced by half, stirring occasionally.
This step is crucial:
Close eyes and inhale D~E~E~P~L~Y every 10 minutes or so throughout the 24 hours.

Now the peach butter should be nice and thick and if you put a teaspoon of it on a plate and wait a minute there should be very little, if any, liquid seeping around the edges of the peach butter.

At this point you could just eat it with a big spoon and a whole loaf of bread while no one is home to witness it.
Or you could exercise some self control and can it using a water bath canner.
This recipe yielded 11 half pints.
Just for kicks I put it in the recipe builder on the WW website and to the best of my calculations there is 1 point in 2 Tablespoons of this peach butter.
A little tart, a little sweet, a super nice thing to do to a piece of toast!

4 comments:

Christy said...

You are a domestic diva! The meal plan looked fabulous and now this! Wow!

KMDuff said...

Mmm, I love apple butter a ton and peach butter just sounds like another slice of heaven! Yum!

Amber said...

That looks so good. Going to try that one for sure. It made a lot too!

Chantel said...

WOW! That looks so good and I maybe could do it and not screw it up. I think I'll give it a try!