THANK YOU EILEEN!!!! I love that blog and I have already tried a couple of her recipes.
Here's one that we really enjoyed.
Curry Couscous with Garbanzo Beans
serves 4
7 PointsPlus per serving
Spice mix:
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (This was a good amount of heat for us. You might use less if you don't like too spicy)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Mix together in a small bowl and set aside.
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
a handful of green beans, thinly sliced (you should have about a half cup of the little slices)
I didn't have any green beans so I skipped them.
1 small zucchini, diced
1 small yellow summer squash, diced
1 medium carrot diced
1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup couscous
3 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Bring the broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
(My carrots weren't quite cooked well enough in the end result. Next time I make it I will toss the diced carrots into the broth while it simmers or chop or shred the carrots instead of dicing.)
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the onions and cook, stirring until translucent and slightly browned.
Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring for one minute.
Stir in the green beans, zucchini, squash, and carrots, salt, and spice mix and cook for 5 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
Stir in the garbanzo beans.
Add the couscous and mix until evenly distributed.
Stir in the broth.
Turn off the heat, cover the pan and wait 10 minutes.
Fluff with a fork, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
One serving is 2 generous cups full. Which is kind of a lot, really.
I served it with homemade pita bread, cilantro mint chutney and peach chutney. All totally optional, but delicious. ;)
What we thought~
Roger said it was really good. No complaints about the lack of meat. That's saying something!
I loved this. I loved that it's basically a one pot meal and it was ready to serve in about 20 minutes. And the leftovers have been just as good, maybe better.
Kenzie wasn't home for dinner that night.
Emily says she didn't love it and didn't hate it. Which...is saying something considering what a picky eater she is.
Jaxon ate pita bread.




4 comments:
Trish...would I need to cut back on the curry for my taste buds? It sounds really yummy.
This sounds really yummy! I have everything except Tumeric (it is on my list of ingredients to buy). Should I wait to make it? probably, huh... Darn, I have everything else.
I'm glad you like that blog. I like yours, too. :)
This looks like something that I would enjoy a lot. We're in the habit of having like 5 different "things" with dinner, but this is so simple. Do you all stay satisfied and FULL with just the couscous and pitas?
(esp Jaxon who avoids the FOOD part of it??!!! ) lol
Summer~ I'd just leave the cayenne out if I were you. THe rest of the flavors aren't overwhelming or anything. Not as aggressive as the Indian food samples I've sent you before. ;)
Eileen~ I'd try it without the turmeric. The color won't be the same but the flavor won't be much different. It's a yummy recipe.
Mel~ I stay full and satisfied. Roger is a snacker no matter what we have. And Emily and Jaxon are never satisfied no matter what. LOL
Post a Comment