I haven't posted a recipe in almost 2 weeks! What a slacker I am. It's not that I haven't been cooking, I've just been busy.Here's a yummy breakfast option I made a few weeks ago.
When I was pregnant with Jaxon, Roger would come with me to every doctor's appointment. I tried to schedule them early in the morning and after the appointment we got in the habit of going to Mimi's Cafe for breakfast. I discovered the most fantastic stuffed french toast there. It was absolute heaven. I had sworn off ordering stuffed french toast at restaurants years before when I made the unfortunate mistake of having it at IHOP. Cack!!! Theirs is like cake frosting between two greasy battered pieces of soggy bread topped with pie filling. Gag!
I'm so glad I gave Mimi's a try. They know how to do it right!
There is a recipe for Fruit and Cheese Stuffed French Toast in the WW in 20 Minutes cookbook which is where I got the lowfat inspiration from. I made some small changes to it which result in higher points than the WW version but it's still a very reasonable and filling breakfast.
Stuffed French Toast
Makes 2 servings
8 points per serving
Makes 2 servings
8 points per serving
4 slices of whole wheat bread
The bread I use is one point per slice. You might have to adjust for the brand you buy.
1 egg
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon canola oil
2 Tablespoon Jam
I used peach. Any flavor would be good.
2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 oz. light cream cheese
2 Tablespoons fat free skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
In medium bowl combine egg, egg whites, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk until well blended. Set aside.
Spread the cream cheese evenly on two slices of the bread, leaving an 1/8 inch border. Spread the jam evenly on remaining slices of bread, leaving an 1/8 inch border. Put the slices of bread together to make 2 cream cheese and jam sandwiches.
Add canola oil to large non stick skillet over medium high heat.
Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture, turning over once and allowing them to soak up all the egg mixture.
Place the sandwiches in the hot skillet and cook until browned. 2-3 minutes per side.
Serve with the sliced berries.
Next time I'll puree some of the berries to make a bit of a syrup to drizzle on top.
YUM!
BTW If there's a Mimi's near you you might wanna sign up for their "E-club" and they'll email you a coupon for a free breakfast. FYI The Triple Berry French Toast is only 11 points according to the nutrition info on their site. I don't know how that can be true since it comes with 2 eggs and choice of bacon or sausage. But one can dream, huh? I might just decide to believe that some time soon. Ya know, for old time's sake. ;)




1 comment:
That looks really good. I'm going to have to try that. I've been looking for a sweet breakfast recipe.
Post a Comment