Friday, May 15, 2009

Love grows best in small houses

That's what they say right?
This house is BURSTING at the seams. I used to fantasize about building on or maybe just buying a bigger house to accommodate our big and ever expanding family. But those were pre-Dave Ramsey fantasies. LOL

When all the kids and grandkids come over for breakfast or dinner once a week there are 17 people here.
Thank goodness for the warm weather! Now we can spill out onto the deck we built a couple of years ago.
But the patio set we have out there is in SAD shape. The cushions are pretty much destroyed from sun, rain, snow, etc.


Back in those pre-Dave Ramsey days I'd have gone right out and paid a couple hundred dollars for new cushions.
But these are the Dave Ramsey days and we're still on baby step #2. So I got busy thinking of a way to fix them up for much less money.
It's only fitting since we are having a big dinner here tomorrow night right after the Dave Ramsey Live Event. woohooo!!
I bought 8 yards of fleece for $40 and made slipcovers for the old cushions.
I'm not in love with this print but it matches the patio umbrella pretty well and far and away better than the Disney Princess fleece would have.

One down. Five to go.
Oh! And guess what I found tucked into a secret little pocket on one of the cushions?

These handy dandy chair covers! Which might have helped preserve the cushions in the first place.
I have a vague recollection of knowing they were there. I have no idea why we never used them.
I guess we'll use them now so that the cheap fix will last till we're debt free. :)

3 comments:

Mel the Belle said...

Cool!!! You are soooo clever!!! xo *Mel

Rico said...

I'm far to uncreative to even think to make slip covers for cushions so kudos on that

Amber said...

Sweet! Looks good! Lol about the covers.