Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Cream of Broccoli Soup and Cheese Corn Bread


This one wasn't fantastic but I hesitate to say we'll never have it again.
I think it will be nice to have in the freezer, in individual serving sizes, for my lunch since it is so low in points and fairly filling. But as a dinner for the family it left a few members wanting.
I wonder if a little red pepper flake might have helped it.

Cream of Broccoli Soup
from Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook
makes 4 servings (2 pts. per serving)

1 1/2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 onion, chopped
1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
1/2 celery stalk, chopped
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 pound broccoli florets
3 cups fat free low sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon lemon juice
I'm not sure what the lemon was supposed to bring to the party. I didn't have one so I used lime juice. I still can't tell you what the lemon might have done for the soup.
1/2 cup fat free milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

1)In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion, carrot, celery and thyme; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and broth. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer until broccoli is tender, 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice. Let cool 10 minutes.

2)Transfer to a blender in batches and puree. Return the soup to the saucepan over medium heat. Add milk, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until hot, 4-5 minutes.

This made 6 cups of soup. So 1 1/2 cups per serving.

While cleaning out the pantry today I found a canister of yellow corn meal so I decided to try a corn bread recipe to go with the soup tonight. It was pretty good. A little dry without a big slab of butter on it ;) but good nonetheless. We'll have this again.

Cheese Corn Bread
from Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook
Makes 12 servings (3 points per serving)

1 1/4 cup yellow corn meal
3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup + 2 Tablespoons low fat buttermilk
1 large egg
1/3 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1-2 teaspoons minced jalapeno peppers

1)Preheat the oven to 400 degrees; spray an 8X8 inch square pan or a 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.

2)In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, beat the buttermilk and egg. Pour over the flour mixture; stir just until blended (do not overmix). Gently fold in the cheese, corn and jalapeno.

3)Transfer to the pan. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool in the pan 10 minutes; serve warm.

4 comments:

tallyxcore said...

my sister made some broccoli soup tonight. I thought it was good but it had onion chunks and I hate onions. The bread in your picture looks good btw.

More Jingle in my Jeans said...

I think that the citrus is to help the color stay bright instead of that yucky color that broccoli soup can be!

Christy said...

I like eating soups a lot, I especially like soups with red pepper flakes in it!

Trish said...

I wondered if it might be to keep the soup green instead of gray. LOL