Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Curry Dusted Shrimp with Mango-Ginger Sauce


We really liked this dish a lot!
Curry Dusted Shrimp with Mango-Ginger Sauce
From Weight Watchers in 20 Minutes
Makes 4 servings (4 pts per serving)

1 Tablespoon Madras curry powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound peeled and deveined extra large shrimp
2 mangoes, peeled, pitted, and cut into chunks (about 2 cups)
I used a bag of frozen mango chunks which came just a little short of 2 cups so I added a few chunks of frozen peach from our own trees. :)
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon minced, peeled fresh ginger
Pinch cayenne
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

1)Combine the curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt (We felt this was way too much salt. Next time I'll use only 1/4 teaspoon. Maybe less.) in a medium bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to coat evenly; set aside.

2)Combine the mangoes, water, and honey in a blender or food processor and puree; set aside.

3)Heat the oil in a medium nonstick saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion, ginger, cayenne and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the mango puree and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer about 1 minute. Pour the sauce into a sauceboat.

4)Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium high heat. Add the shrimp and cook until just opaque in the center, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with the cilantro. Serve with the sauce.

The book says that 1 serving is about 7 shrimp and 1/3 cup of the sauce. That's a LOT of sauce. I was happy with half that amount. I double all these recipes for our family but when I make this one again-and I will! It was so good!- I won't double the sauce. Only the shrimp.
I served this with brown rice (2 more points) and some Brussels sprouts.

1 comment:

Mel the Belle said...

Looks really Yummy! (We had Brussels Sprouts last night..I love them!) xoxo *Mel