
My So. Cal pal gave me this recipe several years ago. It was her Grandma Anne's recipe.
Altho I never knew Grandma Anne, I always think of Mel when we have this meal.
I have tweaked it a bit over time to suit our taste and available ingredients but it's still fairly close to the original recipe.
Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add 4 pounds of lean, cubed pork together with 1 clove of minced garlic and salt and pepper. Do not crowd the pan. You want it to sear nicely for a few minutes. If necessary, divide the pork into smaller batches to achieve a nice brown color on the cooked pieces. When the pork is browned add some water to the pan. Just enough to cover the meat. Scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in another large skillet, heat 1 Tablespon oil over medium heat. Add one large chopped onion and 1 clove of minced garlic. Cook and stir until onions begin to brown.
Add one 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes in puree, three 7 oz. cans of diced green chilies and a handful of chopped cilantro.
When the meat has simmered for 30 minutes, remove it from the water it was simmering in with a slotted spoon and add it to the tomato and chile mixture, reserving the liquid.
Bring the meat and tomato mixture to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for at least 45 minutes to get the pork nice and tender. Add some of the reserved liquid in the other pan to thin the chile verde as necessary while it simmers.
We serve this with cheese quesadillas and the kids like to add a spoon full of sour cream to their dishes at the table.
Thanks Mel!
And thanks to Grandma Anne too! ;)
ETA: I'm linking this post to the recipe swap on The Grocery Cart Challenge. She has a great blog with lots of frugal ideas and a recipe swap every Friday. So many new dinner ideas!




4 comments:
Oh, Trishie, this is so sweet ! I just KNOW Grama Anne is smiling and giving us both a hug. You know, when she was really losing it in her final days (both physical and mental, she was on a lot of drugs for pain), she kept asking me over and over again "How is your friend, Trish? and her kids?).. every day (you know I saw her every single day, often several times and sometimes stayed over, we were only 2 streets apart. She felt very drawn to you. I think that is because you are almost her exact CLONE in the way you do things...the way your Housekeeping is soooo important to you, and your FOOD and family caretaking... First and foremost both of you are "Housewives", ... she loved that you still (in this day and age) keep to the "Housewife Format" from her generation, whereas so many women these days have no clue. She is dancing and having a Margarita in Heaven and toasting YOU tonite, I just know!!! Thanks so much for this posting..It makes me feel better. Memories of my Dear Grandma...on a night when I HURT and feel very sad in many ways...THIS was a bright "Tinkerbelle" spark in my evening! Love you Pal, *Mel (and Anne too!) xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo!!!!!
Wow, Trish. I think Mel liked the post A LOT!! What a sweetie, huh?
Mel, sorry you are hurting tonight and happy for you too that you found comfort here! How cool!
That looks really good!
That looks a lot different than what I was expecting with the name Chile Verde, but it looks really good anyways! I am going to have to give this a try. :)
Post a Comment