
I am so very against rating a recipe if it wasn't prepared as written. I've mentioned this before, I'm sure.When I saw this recipe on A Year of Crock potting I was so excited! Other than enchilada sauce that we are all very familiar with, I had never had Mole until my last birthday. And it was phenomenal! Truly. I knew right away that I wanted to find a way to make it at home. And I thought that the crock pot recipe might be it. But it's not.
For one thing, hers is chunky with large bits of nuts and things. The mole I had enjoyed so much was a delicious puree of so many flavors.
My friends, Dennis and Christy, gave me a really nice Mexican cook book for Christmas that is loaded with authentic Mole recipes.
With that book as my guide I altered the crockpot recipe a little. Primarily I just pureed all the mole ingredients except the cinnamon stick and poured that over the pork sirloin roast I used. But I used all the ingredients in the measurements listed.
And it just isn't great. Emily and Jaxon wouldn't eat it. Roger ate it but expressed (repeatedly) that it was NOT a keeper. I thought it was good. But not good enough to make again.
So, I'm breaking my rule and saying that I don't care for the recipe even though I didn't make it EXACTLY as written. But really, the flavor couldn't be THAT different by not pureeing.
And, strangely, it was UNSALTABLE. You just couldn't get enough salt on it. Weird, huh?
I can't wait to try one from the cook book!




3 comments:
They can't all be winners, huh? Lol.
I agree, pureeing isn't going to change the flavor of the recipe that much.
My MIL makes Mole on a regular basis, I just sat down with her the other day and she gave me her recipe, I dont eat it, something about all the spices gives me a tummy ache, but she uses the jarred Mole and everyone in the family loves it, once i make it for them I will post it on my blog
CACK! I gotta send you some recipes...hate to say it, but that does not look appetizing. Brownie Points for trying! lol xo *Mel
Post a Comment