(Yes, I know the broccoli is overcooked. Credit for that to the toddler and/or the teenager. arg!)
Orange Crumbed Baked Chicken
Orange Crumbed Baked ChickenFrom Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook
4 servings (3pts. per serving)
2 Tablespoons orange juice
2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup whole wheat cracker crumbs
1 Tablespoon grated orange zest
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 (3-ounce) skinless boneless chicken thighs
1)Preheat oven to 350 degrees; Spray non stick baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2)In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, mustard and salt. On a sheet of waxed paper, combine the cracker crumbs, orange zest, shallot and pepper. Brush the chicken on both sides with the mustard mixture, then dredge in the crumbs, firmly pressing the crumbs to coat both sides. Place the chicken on the baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes; turn over and bake until cooked through, 15-20 minutes longer.
Brown and Wild Rice with Walnuts and Cranberries
From Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook
Makes 8 servings (2pts per serving)
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup brown rice
1/2 cup wild rice, rinsed
3 cups vegetable stock or broth
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 Tablespoons chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1)In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the brown rice and wild rice; cook, stirring, until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the stock, salt and red pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered until the rice mixture is almost tender, about 30 minutes.
2) Add the cranberries and cook until the rice mixture is tender but still chewy, 7-10 minutes. Add the parsley, walnuts and orange zest; toss lightly.
This rice was fantastic!!! A little sweet, a little spicy and then the crunch of the walnuts. YUM! This will be a frequent side dish for us I'm sure.
Lemon Butter Broccoli Spears
From Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook
Makes 4 servings (1pt per serving)
1 1/2 pounds broccoli
5 teaspoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1)Cut the broccoli into spears, discarding the thick woody part of the stems. Bring 3 inches of water to boil in a large pot. Place the broccoli in a steamer basket and add to the pot; steam until crisp tender, 3-4 minutes. Remove from pot.
2)Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. When the butter foams, add the lemon juice and cook 30 seconds. Add the broccoli, lemon zest, salt and pepper; cook, tossing, 1-2 minutes until the broccoli is well coated.
For 20 minutes I've been trying to figure out why this broccoli recipe is bolded and I cannot. Grr! I give up!
4 servings (3pts. per serving)
2 Tablespoons orange juice
2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup whole wheat cracker crumbs
1 Tablespoon grated orange zest
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 (3-ounce) skinless boneless chicken thighs
1)Preheat oven to 350 degrees; Spray non stick baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2)In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, mustard and salt. On a sheet of waxed paper, combine the cracker crumbs, orange zest, shallot and pepper. Brush the chicken on both sides with the mustard mixture, then dredge in the crumbs, firmly pressing the crumbs to coat both sides. Place the chicken on the baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes; turn over and bake until cooked through, 15-20 minutes longer.
Brown and Wild Rice with Walnuts and Cranberries
From Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook
Makes 8 servings (2pts per serving)
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup brown rice
1/2 cup wild rice, rinsed
3 cups vegetable stock or broth
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 Tablespoons chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1)In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the brown rice and wild rice; cook, stirring, until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the stock, salt and red pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered until the rice mixture is almost tender, about 30 minutes.
2) Add the cranberries and cook until the rice mixture is tender but still chewy, 7-10 minutes. Add the parsley, walnuts and orange zest; toss lightly.
This rice was fantastic!!! A little sweet, a little spicy and then the crunch of the walnuts. YUM! This will be a frequent side dish for us I'm sure.
Lemon Butter Broccoli Spears
From Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook
Makes 4 servings (1pt per serving)
1 1/2 pounds broccoli
5 teaspoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1)Cut the broccoli into spears, discarding the thick woody part of the stems. Bring 3 inches of water to boil in a large pot. Place the broccoli in a steamer basket and add to the pot; steam until crisp tender, 3-4 minutes. Remove from pot.
2)Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. When the butter foams, add the lemon juice and cook 30 seconds. Add the broccoli, lemon zest, salt and pepper; cook, tossing, 1-2 minutes until the broccoli is well coated.
For 20 minutes I've been trying to figure out why this broccoli recipe is bolded and I cannot. Grr! I give up!




11 comments:
Oh yum! What kind of crackers did you use?
It was the Wheat Thins 100% whole grain baked something or other. LOL
LMK if you need me to be more specific.
Nope, that's fine.. I have another kind that is like that. I was just thinking that 'firm' or a cracker would be hard to get down into crumbs but I guess not. Did you put them in a bag and smash them that way?
I put them in the food processor. It took a while. LOL I ended up with some larger bits but, in the end, I liked it that way.
All there looks really good. I don't eat/like chicken thighs (so will use very thin pounded organic white meat chicken breasts in place of them) but other than that..yum. I will make this dinner one night next week! So far I'm a month and a half into cooking almost every night. I had originally alloted us 2 nights per week out for dinner (we were going out or picking up just about every night due to my health) but we've managed only ONE night per week out, and instead of the very expensive restaurants we were doing 2 or 3 nights per week, we (since Jan 1) have instead only done 1 out dinner and "budgeted" at that (lower priced restaurants, almost always using a Coupon, and no more than 1 X per week!) Like you say, "I can do this!!!" Baby Steps ... Once you get started on any new routine, wrapping your brain around the concept is half the battle! xo *Mel
I think my favorite here is the rice, too. That dish sounds so very good. How / where do you buy your wild rice? I've seen it at a health food type grocery store , but it seemed pricey.
So how many points would I be alloted at 5'6 1/2" and 193? Can you provide such insider information to me, are you doing points or some other new-type plan?
Mel~ Chicken breasts would be great as well. In fact, WW lets us have 4 oz of breast and only 3 oz. of thighs because of the fat content. I happen to prefer the dark meat flavor more and I had some thighs on hand so I made it as written. I'm sure we'll make it with breast meat just as often though.
And WAY TO GO on not eating out! You're doing so great!
You can do this!!I'd like a peek into YOUR kitchen and meal plans. ;)
Christy~The only wild rice I could find was pretty dang pricey so I actually found a bag of wild rice and brown rice blend that seems to be in the process of being discontinued at Smith's so you might get lucky and find some at yours. It's in a plastic bag and it's called Lundberg Wild Blend. It was $1.99 for a pound. I'm thinking I'll grab a couple more bags of it this week.
I'll email you on the rest. ;)
Wow that looks delicious! Wish I was having that tonight for dinner lol
Wow that looks delicious! Wish I was having that tonight for dinner lol
I am loving this! Love looking at the recipes and how yo are doing! Keep it up it is motivating me :)
Made the orange crumbed bake chicken and the lemon butter broccoli from this meal tonight. We had regular brown rice with it. Yummy! I still haven't made the rice from this meal. I'll be making that soon!
Post a Comment